thirty

"moment of truth"

"moment of truth"

"Hey, Juwan!" she grinned up at me, her arms wrapping around me as she leaned up toward me for a kiss.
I turned my face, forcing her to kiss my cheek before I walked past her and into her loft.

"What's wrong with you?" she asked, following my lead and closing the door behind her.
"Look, Violet. . . I'ma be straight up wit'chu. This shit's been fun, but we can't do this anymore," I shook my head.

She stared up at me for only a few seconds before releasing a breath of a laugh in response. "What do you mean?"
"I mean that I've got shit I need to take care of, and I won't have the time or the energy to be juggling three women," I explained.

"Okay, well, drop Quinn and we can be together," she shrugged.
"That's the thing, Violet. I'm not dropping Quinn," I shook my head.
Her eyebrows furrowed at me. "Juwan, she doesn't care about you the way I do. Who was here to take the pain away when you were hurting? Who was here catering to you when no one was?" she asked.

"I appreciate that, V, but—"
"I just don't understand why I'm the one that has to go, when I'm the only one who's been here for you all this time," she shook her head.

"Things were never supposed to get this deep with us, Violet. I was never supposed to sleep with you," I reminded her.
"But, you did multiple times, and you told me that you love me. What— I'm supposed to just let that go? Juwan, I . . . I thought we had something special," her eyes began to shine with oncoming tears.

"Violet, we do— we did, but if I want to be good to my girl then I need to—"
"Fuck your girl, Juwan! Fuck being good! What we have and what we've done. . . is special. Rocky, we can make this work. I won't say a word about us to anybody, and I'll never call you at home. I'll settle for only seeing you for a few hours a week, if it means that we can still be together— everything I've been doing. I'll be good. I promise," she pleaded.

"Violet, I can't. We can't do this—"
"You know what? Fuck you then, Juwan! I was an idiot to ever think you were different. I thought I could rely on you. You told me I could. You said that I could open myself and that I'd never regret it! You were supposed to be my best friend, but you're treating me like some whore! This girl you're picking over me obviously can't give you what you need because you wouldn't have come to me in the first place, so when she starts slacking, don't call me," she was visibly angry.

"I'm really not trying to end this on bad terms, Violet," I shook my head.
"It ended on bad terms when you came back here, begging me to take care of you— when you told me that you love me. I opened myself up to you, and you. . ." tears began streaming down her face.

"You turned out to be just like every other guy," she shakily spoke.
"I'm sorry to disappoint," I murmured.
"I hate you so much right now," she wiped her tears.