quinn's epilogue

"finally"

"finally"

"Baby, just breathe. You're doing that thing again," Romeo said while putting on his cuff links.
"What thing?" I inquired.

"That thing where you pace the room and mumble to yourself," he replied.
I halted upon realizing my actions only to continue. "Sorry. I'm just so anxious."

"I know you are, Quinnifer," he faced away from the mirror and moved into my path. I playfully rolled my eyes at the nickname he assigned to me years ago.

"Today's a big day. You're finally doing the thing that you've been working toward all this time. You are more than ready for this and more than capable of being the businesswoman we both know you are," his hands found my shoulders before cradling my face as he kissed my forehead.

"You got this! Now go on, and finish getting dressed. We gotta' be down there soon," he stated before finding a blazer to put on.

I did as I was told, only thinking of how quickly the time had passed us by.

Nearly five years ago, I'd moved back to Atlanta. I picked up a job in a salon and began journaling again. Starting off with my mother's route of healing, I made church a part of my weekly routine, and while adding onto that, I found a therapist.

Between working and rebuilding myself, the only time I really had to entertain anyone was when I was on the phone with Romeo, two times out the week. That was until we'd been doing so for three years.

By then, I'd finally saved up enough to have my own home. After an infinite amount of calls and flights booked for Romeo to visit, he eventually moved in. I guess you can say the rest is history.

Romeo and I arrived to the opening, greeting friends and colleagues and even a little bit of press. I began my brief speech, speaking of how long I dreamt of this day.

I recalled the tough road I endured to get here, how many internal battles led me astray from my dream. . . but now, it was all worth it.

All the tears. All the long nights spent worrying if it would ever really happen. All the fighting to get a loan in order to jumpstart every thing. All the praying.

It was all worth it, in the end.

The ribbon was soon cut with a pair of huge golden scissors I picked out specifically for the event. With two snips, the silk ribbon of blue was split and cheering commenced. I took in the moment with a big smile on my face before glancing over at Romeo, who stood right beside me.