T E N

~ Self Control ~
~ day 19 ~
C H E Y E N N E

I lock my apartment door, yawning as I adjust my backpack on my shoulder. It was another restless night of nightmares. They were seeming to intensify as it got closer to the middle of the summer. Of course, it only made sense. My entire body was running on Redbull and motivation for my freedom.

A few more weeks, I promise myself. No longer than that.

I sigh as my phone begins to ring, reaching into my back pocket for my phone and roll my eyes as I examine the 'Unknown' caller I.D. I knew exactly who it was and I still answer, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"Who gave you my number?" I ask, bounding down the stairs and out onto the sidewalk. A chuckle comes from the other line before he speaks.

"Still living in that slummy apartment building, I see?" Damon asks, amusement in his tone. I narrow my eyes, holding still right outside of my apartment building. I wouldn't dare to make a move until I knew exactly where he was. I look around, scanning alleyways as he continues to talk. "When are you gonna get out of there? You have the money."

"Soon," I mutter, looking up to the rooftops. I find a figure dressed in all white, their girlish figure silhouetting against the dark purple hue of the Gotham sky. "Why are you and your little army stalking me?"

"Working, not stalking." He corrects me as a few more from his brotherhood appear behind the one, including Damon himself. He crouches down on the ledge of the building, taking his hood and face mask off, and smiling down at me. "We just so happened to pass by your building and I thought I would let them meet the girl who started it all. The one who will give into us eventually."

I scoff, shaking my head as the others all took off their hoods. The girl who started it all. He was absolutely shameless. "Do they know why there is no me?"

"Come up and say hello." He ignores me, giving me a command instead of a request. While I wouldn't mind going up there to meet a few of the members of his brotherhood, I couldn't give in to him. If I gave him even an inch, he'd steal a mile.

I stare up at them, watching as their cloaks wave in the breeze, their gaze on me intense and focused. I should be up there with them instead of working in lingerie for my freedom. I was where I constantly found myself. All alone. I clear my throat and shake my head, letting my emotions catch up to me. "I-I can't. I'm busy right now."

It's quiet on the other side of the phone as Damon and I stare at each other. He knew something was off with me. He was the one person who knew me as well as Angel. For a moment, I was thinking Damon will speak again, but instead, all of their attention turns to somewhere distant, them hearing something I couldn't without an earpiece.

All of them except Damon move swiftly toward the sound, leaving him behind. We continued to watch each other, tears threatening to well up on my waterline. I wanted nothing more than to go with them, feel the breeze that you could only feel so high up run its fingers through my hair. I haven't touched any of my equipment in almost over a month and I missed it.

"I'll come by later." He states, standing abruptly. I open my mouth to protest, but I couldn't. I couldn't say no to him. I needed him. He was the only thing that made me feel the slightest bit okay. He reminded me of easier times. Besides the fact that he left me, he was, in fact, my best friend. The time and dedication we put into each other, it all grew into a friendship, eventually to something much more. I clench my jaw, watching as he stands and hesitantly follows his brotherhood. Commitment issues. That's what he called it. We were never exclusive. While we did care about each other, we were mere co-workers with benefits. Truthfully, I was nothing to commit to to begin with, but okay. I guess.