S I X T E E N

~ Just A Job ~
~ day 31 ~
C H E Y E N N E •

Speeding down the highway, I blink tears away. I knew that with blurry vision, I should probably slow down, but I didn't care. I could get into an accident for all I cared. I only wanted to find Damon, which proved to be harder than what I had initially thought. It might have been easier if I was in a better state of mind, but last night was chock full of unfortunate events that I didn't originally see, but, in hindsight, I should have.

I sniffle, laughing to myself out of spite as I pull through an exit and stop at the red light. I rest my head on the headrest and wipe my eyes, thinking about how stupid I was. Why did I think Joker and Damon wouldn't ultimately find out about each other? Why did I care? Neither of them were my boyfriends, so why did it matter?

On one hand, I needed to stay on Joker's good side and the talk (or the lack thereof) he and I had in his Lamborghini last night proved that we weren't on the best terms. He didn't take me back to his mansion like he had the last few night, he didn't even have Frost escort me to the front door of my building. I wanted to know everything that he was thinking, but I knew I wasn't getting that out of him. It was probably better that we didn't talk that much so that it didn't end up like our last argument.

And on the other hand, Damon was important to me. He managed to weasel his way back into my heart in the past month. He offered a sort of comfort that I couldn't really find anywhere else. I hated the fact that he felt betrayed by me, even though he'd betrayed me too, years ago and last night. Thinking about what Chanel told me last night, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. It couldn't be true.

~ last night ~

"What was that?" Suki asks, watching me as I pull on my shirt. I ignore her, not wanting to answer. My mind was swarming with thoughts and nothing was clear. "I'm just seeing things right? You and Joker just made out?"

"No!" I snap at her, finally turning to her. "He kissed me, let's make that clear. He just wanted to make that guy out there jealous, he wanted him to back off."

"I heard you say that you were his, Cheyenne," Ace says, crossing her arm as she stood in front of me. I pull on my backpack and roll my eyes. "What was that about?"

"Ace," I say, finally having enough of their interrogation. "It is all an act. I have to stay on his good side and him catching me with that guy was not going to help. I had to do something and me saying I was his girl was that something."

It was silent in the room as we stared at each other. Neither of them dared to keep asking me questions about what happened. They both knew I was right and I knew it was an excuse and maybe, deep down, they did too, but nothing was said. Even if there was something to say, the dressing room door opens and standing in the doorway was Chanel, her lipstick a little smudged.

All three of us turn to look at her, forgetting our prior conversation and watching her carefully. She completely ignored Ace and Suki and stared directly at me, a smug grin on her face as she neared a vanity. I knew what that grin meant. She was up to something. "What a night, huh, Cheyenne?"

"I don't have time for your little games, Chanel," I say, crossing my arms. "Boss is waiting for me, just get to the point."

"Are you confident that you can still call him your Boss?" She asks, turning to me. The faint lipstick stain on her face screamed at me. I couldn't stop staring and I felt as though there was something I should know about it. "I guess it doesn't matter. That little boy toy of yours could be an efficient replacement."