T W E N T Y S E V E N

~ Cat Burgular ~
~day 52 ~
• C H E Y E N N E •

I push the club doors open, greeted by the all too tense atmosphere of the club. It's had been this way since the guards realized he was missing. All the dancers except Ace, Suki, and I had been stepping on eggshells, knowing the if they took one wrong step, Joker's henchmen would go insane.

Joker's words from yesterday swarmed my head as I watched Suki and Ace turn their attention towards me from across the club.

You're not supposed to be nice to your hench.

You have to instill fear so they'll respect you, so they'll be loyal.

Too afraid to not have faith in you.

Be like him is basically what he told me. I wasn't sure I could do that. I couldn't find that switch he was talking about.

I walk past them and straight into the dressing room, maintaining eye contact with them. I could have said something right then and there. No. I didn't need to turn off the switch.

I set my bag down in my chair and unzip my hoodie, draping it over the back of the chair as I pull off my shoes. The door opens behind me and the tone of the room turns dark, causing any girl that was in the room to leave. I glance into the mirror, watching as Ace and Suki give the leaving dancers threatening looks. I chuckle, pulling my outfit out of my bag. "Wasn't it you two who were warning me about giving the other girls shit just a few weeks ago?

"We're not sleeping with Joker." Ace states, crossing her arms watching as I continue to get ready to work. While her words do phase me and I'm utterly shocked that she even has the balls to speak to me that way, I don't let her see it. I take a deep breath, pulling off my shirt.

"I'm not sleeping with him," I say, not being able to hold back a chuckle. As if it were a voice in my head, my petty, devilish conscience seems to appear in my left ear. You got pretty damn close yesterday. Hell, you might even tonight. I clench my jaw, doing my best to ignore it.

"Damon seems to think you are," Suki says, her voice hesitant. I stare at her through the mirror. She seems hesitant. "He thinks that there's something more going on."

"Yeah, well, Damon is paranoid because of the things he's done to me in the past," I sigh, brushing my hair so my curls fall softly around my shoulders. "I never told you the whole story. Did he ever tell you what he did to me? That he left me in the middle of the night and disappeared to Louisiana to steal my dream from me? That I didn't get the courtesy of an explanation until years after he left? I found out what he did through Angel by accident. I wouldn't take what Damon says with a grain of salt."

They're somewhat stunned to silence as I continue to get ready for the club. I spray perfume on my neck and wrist and continue to primp in the mirror. I think I've won without violence, without turning off that switch. For once, Joker was wrong. I smirk to myself, finding myself excited to get home and rub it in his face.

"I don't trust a word you say. I never did," I hear Ace say, almost under her breath. I think she was hoping I didn't hear her, but I did. My eyes dart to meet hers and once she realizes I fully heard what she said, she doesn't stop. I could feel my heart beating against my ribcage and my ears were ringing almost violently. She was pushing me. "You're a Wayne. You can't be trusted. You and your corrupted billionaire of a father the reason a place like Arkham and people like Joker exists in the first pla-"

For a moment, just like the night I pushed Scarlett, I black out and next thing I knew, I had Ace up against the wall, one hand was around her throat, and the other holding the pistol I carry with me everywhere and the barrel was pressed to her temple. My grip on her neck was dangerously tight and I had her lifted up off the ground just enough to where she could barely support herself with her tiptoes. Our faces were an inch away and my I was snarling as I clicked the safety off.