T H I R T Y

~ Unraveling ~
~ day 55 ~
• J O K E R •

"No wonder you always get Frost to drive you everywhere," Cheyenne chuckles beside me, staring out the window as I weave in and out of cars along the streets of Gotham. "You drive like a maniac."

"It's a lot smoother in my car," I sneer, taking a sharp left. I glance at her, taking a hand off the wheel to fix my hair. "This is the best car Bruce's money can buy?"

"It's what I wanted. He would have given me the Batmobile if I asked back then..." she sighs, her voice trailing off as she sits up in her seat. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she glanced out the window. "I thought your place was the other way."

I chuckle, not responding to her as I slow down. She rolls up her tinted window, reaching into one of the may duffel bags she packed behind her seat. I glance at her, becoming curious. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" She asks, settling back in her seats as she checks the magazine in her pistol. I can't help but laugh at her, causing her to give me a mean look.

"You, a big, bad assassin, are afraid of a few drug-addled bums and a couple of thrift store thugs down Crime Alley?" I ask, watching as she watches the bums on the streets watching the car pass.

"No one's afraid," she mumbles, relaxing a bit once I pull into a dark abandoned alley. "The people around here and I just don't seem to get along."

I put the car in park and take out the key, taking the pistol out of her hand. She looks at me, her eyebrows furrowed as she tries to take the gun back but I hold it out of her reach. "No one will mess with you while you're with me."

"J, I-" she starts, reaching for the gun again, but I growl at her, making her back into her seat again. Her jaw was clenched and her stare was cold, but she was being obedient.

"Let's go, Princess," I say, opening my car door and getting out. I can see her roll her eyes before she follows suit.

"Why the hell are we here, J?" She asks, looking at me from the other side of the car. I don't mind her as I turn toward a big rusted metal door behind me. The door was locked shut and I didn't have my keys. I wasn't even sure anyone was in there.

"Do you have-" I begin to ask, but I'm suddenly cut off by a gunshot. I look up, finding someone in a ski mask bounding toward the car with a gun in hand. It didn't even seem like he noticed me as he rushed toward Cheyenne's side of the car. I roll my eyes, pulling my gun out of its holster and firing a few shots into the man's chest. He falls to the ground with a thud and Cheyenne lifts her head from inside the car.

"What did I tell you?" She quips, her tone screaming 'I told you so'. I clench my jaw, watching as she walks over to me and looks down at the lock before pulling a lockpick out of her purse. I furrow my browline as she crouches and begins fiddling with the lock mechanism. "What is this place?"

"You'll just break into anywhere without me telling you what it is, huh?" I ask, smiling at her. She glances up at me, shrugging before going back to the lock.

"It looks abandoned," she mumbles before sticking her tongue out in concentration.

"It is," I sigh, leaning against the brick wall next to the door. Her hand drop and she stands to look at me, slight irritation coating her expression. "What?"

"Are you serious having me break into an abandoned building? You can't be serious!" She exclaims, her voice raising. I shush her, becoming annoyed with her loud tone. "Are you forgetting that we're on the ru-"