Chapter 8 | She Had to Ask

Chapter 8

She Had to Ask

Logan

       Olivia woke me up early. By early, I mean three in the morning early. She was nudging my shoulder with a pencil and saying my name. I grumbled and rolled over. I was having a wonderful dreamless sleep and I wanted to get back to it.

       “Please, Logan,” she said. It was very clear that she was scared. My eyes flew open then. My first thought was that I needed to kick someone’s ass. No one was breaking into my house.

       “What’s wrong?” I asked jolting off the couch. She stepped back a few steps. I think I’d invaded her personal bubble. However, she popped mine with a pencil, so we were even.

       “I’m scared, I detest the thunder.” She had a frightened look in her eyes and was hugging herself. There was a flash of lightning, thunder rumbling behind it. The rain was deafening against the windows.

       Olivia was visibly shaking. She was probably cold as well as scared. I had about seven fan blasting in here. I wanted to wrap her in a blanket and hug her, tell her it was okay, but she would probably punch me. Again. But in the throat this time,

       “It’s okay Olivia, it’s not going to hurt you,” I said relaxing again. Now that I knew there wasn’t someone breaking into the house, I could rest easy.

       “But I’ve never been alone,” she whispered. “My sisters have always been with me.”

       I opened my eyes and looked at her. Who did she mean by sisters? Mom told me she had only had one sibling and it was a younger brother.

       “What? Who are your sisters?” I asked.

       She opened her mouth but closed it quickly. I don’t think she meant to leave that slip. I got up and wrapped the blanket I had been using around her anyway, careful to avoid touching her skin.

       “I already said I don’t want to talk about this,” she said quietly.

       I motioned for her to sit by me on the couch. “And you don’t have to. I would appreciate it if you did though.

       “I really shouldn’t say,” she said, battling with herself. I could see it in her eyes, she wanted to tell me.

       “I don’t know what that fucking bastard did to you,” I said, surprising myself a bit with my hostility. “But I will never let him hurt you again Olivia. You can tell me what happened; I won’t let him touch you.”

       Olivia stared at me in awe, biting her lip. I guess she never had anyone to stand up for her. She tucked her hair behind her ear and scooted a bit closer to me. I tried to keep the surprise out of my eyes, but it was hard. She only ever shied away from me.

       “I wasn’t the only one he kept,” she whispered. She was speaking so quietly that I could barely hear her. I leaned in a little closer. “There were at least three of us at all times. They were always blonde, and were only ever ten years old. He would only ever keep them for four years.”

       She wrapped her arms around her legs, becoming incredibly small. She hid her face in her blonde hair that was slightly wavy and messed up from bed head. She looked so lost in thought and sadness. I just wanted to shield her from all that.

       “But you were only seven,” I said, speaking as quietly as her. A flash of lightning went off behind her. We both jumped, and I backed away from her slightly. I really didn’t want her to push away from me, not now.