Chapter 19 | I Am a Butler

Chapter 19

I Am a Butler

Olivia

       Knowing that I had won the first platinum award in thirteen years had me in high spirits the rest of the day. It was perfect. Even the warm smelly bus couldn’t bring me down. That was saying a lot when it had twenty four teenagers on it who had been dancing all day.

       I was dozing off in the seat.

       “You awake?” Logan asked, leaning in my ear.

       “I am now,” I grumbled, adjusting in my chair. “What do you want?”

       “I’m bored.”

       I opened an eye and looked at him. “You’re bored?”

       “Yeah.”

       “And you felt it appropriate to wake me up because of this?”

       “I guess so, yeah.”

       “I hate you.”

       He smirked. “You love me and you know it.”

       I sighed. “I guess so yeah.”

       Kia sat down in front of us. “I still don’t feel comfortable with or understand what’s going on between you two.”

       “We’re not cousins, or family in any way shape or form.” This felt like the millionth time I’d said this. “That’s all you need to know for now.”

       “But that’s not all I want to know.” She looked hurt. “Why would you lie to us?”

       “I can’t really explain.” I sighed. We had taken a risk telling Natasha, Kyle, and Raychel the truth, but we also trusted them. Kia and the others we weren’t so close with.

       “But you kind of have too,” she replied.

       I froze in my seat. I had to tell them.

       “Yeah,” Derek, a guy from Kyle’s team I barely knew, pitched in. “You can’t just say that you’re a Butler for five months, and then suddenly say you’re not. You owe it to us.”   

       “She doesn’t have to tell you anything,” Logan growled. “It’s none of your damn business.”

       “She’s a part of our team, it is our business,” Derek retorted. How he looked at Logan in that moment was beyond me. Logan looked downright murderous.

       “You are a part of my team,” Kyle said from across the aisle. He had been asleep last time I checked. “Olivia is not. Lay off her, you’re already on thin ice.”

       “You’re not my boss,” Derek snorted, but sat back in his seat.

       “Yes actually he is,” Natasha said, standing up at the front of the bus. “He is your boss because I gave him that position. You’re just pissy because I took away your position as captain and gave it to someone who is far more skilled than you.”

       Kyle looked up at Tasha with adoration.

       Derek flushed and walked to the back of the bus.

       “I am so sorry Livy,” Logan said after Tasha sat back down. “You never have to tell anyone something you don’t want to.”

       I looked up into his eyes, the guilt tearing my heart open. I knew he didn’t mean it but all I could think was that he wanted to know my past. He wanted me to open up to him but I always shut him out. That wasn’t right or fair.