Chapter 22 | Knights of the Round Table

Chapter 22

Logan

       I don’t remember what happened next. There was a rush of commotion. The seven of us piled into Jason’s work SUV and we were heading down the highway. Jason drove with the sirens going, well over the speed limit.

       Mom was speed talking into her phone. I think she was on the phone with her boss explaining we knew who was kidnapped.

       Fuck.  

       Kidnapped. Olivia was kidnapped.

       We got to the compound and we all rushed out. For the first time in a long time Mom didn’t waddle. Her boss that I actually knew very well was walking towards us.

       “We set up the round table,” he said when he was in ear shot. “We have a team building a profile, they’re waiting for Jason.”

       “I’ll head up a search team,” Mom suggested, walking past him.

       “No you won’t Jordan,” Mr. Mann said, stopping in front of her. “You’re pregnant.”

       “That’s my daughter out there!” she snapped. “She’s out there somewhere, afraid and probably being hurt as we speak. I am finding her!”

       “I’ll head up the search team,” I said. “Mom, you know the paperwork to this case better than anyone. You should work with Jason.”

       “Logan’s right,” Mann told her.

       Jason placed his hands on Moms shoulders. “We’re going to find her.”

       “We don’t have time to argue,” I said.

       “We’ll go with Logan,” Devin said, gesturing to Hayden. “The twins can go to the day care.”

       Mom nodded.

       “This way,” Mann said, directing us down a long hall. What disturbed me the most was that I could easily find my way to where he was taking us. I’d already walked this hall so many times.

       It was sickening how familiar everything was.

       “I hate to see you back here Logan,” Mann said, almost as if reading my thoughts.

       “I hate being here,” I told him.

       Mr. Mann was the lead Marshal, and a very intimidating man. He was well over six feet tall and very built. It was hard to tell just how old he was because there was just no indicator on his dark skin. Not even a wrinkle. But he was bald, and the boss of every Marshal in town, so that had to mean something.

       “It’s going to have a different outcome this time,” Devin said. He sounded so grim, but hopeful.

       We walked through the glass doors into an empty room. There were maps covering the walls and tables, and I knew the filing cabinet in back held even more. There was a huge bulletin board taking up the entire back wall.

       “Eleven hours,” Mann said. “This creep is eleven hours ahead of us.”

       “For now,” I said. I noticed Mann had a picture in his hand. I took it from him and walked to the middle of the board. “But not for long.”

       I pinned her beautiful face to the board.

       “I’m going to find you.”