Chapter 9 | The Divine Power

Chapter 9

The Divine Power

Olivia

       I tried not to be offended that Logan had just kicked me out of his room. I really hadn’t meant to upset him. Trying to figure out who Rosie is had been driving me up the wall. Of course not literally, but figuratively. I had been told people said that sometimes.

       I walked across the hall to where I could see Raychel in our room to which the door was wide open.

       “Where’s Devin?” I asked.

       “Gone down to Jordan’s room to grab his suitcase. He wanted to change out of his pajamas.” Raychel was facing the other way, looking at clothes sprawled over the bed.

       “That might be a good idea,” I laughed.

       “Are you ready to meet Lynn?” Raychel asked turning around so she could see me.

       “I think I might take a shower first,” I said. “I feel kind of gross.”

       “The bathroom is all yours,” she replied, stepping aside so I could enter the bathroom.

       I rolled the suitcase into the bathroom behind me so I would have clothes when I got out.

       After all the knots I had from being so tense were relaxed, I stepped out of the shower. I had only been five minutes, but I had already showered the night before. I was clean.

       I wrapped myself in the fuzziest towel and blow dried my hair. I put it into a bun using the elastic I always wore on my wrist, and went to put on my clothes.

       I threw on a pair of lime green leggings Raychel had given me and white tank top that had lace around the edge. After I finished putting on a dab of make-up, I left the bathroom.

       Raychel wasn’t in the room, but Logan was. He was sitting on the bed, twiddling his thumbs. He looked quite nervous.

       “Hey,” I said quietly. I almost half hoped he wouldn’t hear. He lifted his head.

       “You look nice,” he replied, sounding nervous as well.

       “Thank you.”

       “Okay look,” he sighed, getting up to stand in front of me. I forced myself not to shrink back. “I’m really sorry for kicking you out, but I can’t talk about Rosie. It’s been two years, but it still seems like it was yesterday, you know?”

       “No, I don’t know,” I replied. I realized as soon as it how out how terrible it sounded. I wanted to take it back, but I couldn’t.

       Logan reached his hand out, but this time I had to shrink back. I could tell that it hurt him when his face fell. I just couldn’t do it. Remembering the last time anyone touched me made my skin crawl.

       There was a knock on the door.

       “Olivia! Are you in there? I forgot my key!” I could picture Raychel standing on the other side of the door. We hadn’t even been in South Port for a full hour and she already locked herself out of the room.

       I let her, along with Jordan and Devin, into the room.

       “Are you guys ready to go?” Jordan asked, looking at the clock on the wall. Logan and I both nodded. “Let’s head out then, I feel like I’m going to get us lost.”