~Epilogue~

~~Epilogue~~

Five Months Later

Olivia

       I had never dreamed my life would lead up to this moment. Three months ago, I thought I would still be in a dark basement, my belly growing and my life wasting away. Thankfully, as it turned out, I wasn’t actually pregnant. And thankfully I was out of that basement forever.

       Franklin had been charged and convicted of breaking so many laws it was hard to keep track. First degree murder, kidnap, assault, rape, and evading the cops were just at the top of the list, all on several counts. He ended up with four life sentences, and no possibility of parole.

       I pushed thought of him out of my mind; I had other things to think about. I stared out the large window of the compound, my heart racing. My foot kept pace.

       “Olivia,” Madds said, smiling easily at me. Her long black hair curled over her left shoulder. “Take it easy, it’s going to be okay.”

       “Okay, yeah,” I muttered, not believing a word.

       Madds was staying in Handlin for the summer. Cassey, who I had a little girl crush on back in the day, came back and forth every other week. It was awesome having them around, but I sort of wanted this moment alone.

       “You can always back out Sis,” Lucas said from behind me.

       “I know.” I sighed, looking at my brother’s face. Sometimes we would just stare at each other. It felt so surreal to know him again. “But I want to do this.”

       “Are you sure?”

       I glanced up at Logan. He was pacing back and forth. I swear to god he was more nervous than I was. His hair, which had been cut short, was sticking straight up from running his hands through it.

       “I’m positive.” I smiled at him, willing him to relax. “Come sit with me.”

       “But what if she doesn’t like me?” He voiced.

       “Shouldn’t I be worried about that?”

       “I guess so.” He sat down with a thump. “But she’s going to love you.”

       “But what if-”

       He cut me off, pressing his lips to mine. “It’s going to be alright,” he whispered.

       I tried to give him a smile, but the knock on the door destroyed me. My heart raced faster, and my only thought was that this was a mistake. But the door opened anyway, revealing two people, presumably twenty, and each holding the hand of a little girl.

       The girl bounded into the room, wearing a bright pink sweater and black pants. What got me was the little ballet shoes.

       “Hi,” the woman said nervously. “I’m Wendy, and this is  my husband Peter.”

       “I’m Olivia,” I said, my eye flickering back to the girl. She hid behind her mother’s leg, peering at me through her blonde hair. “This is my boyfriend Logan, my brother Lucas, and our friend Madds.”

       They all waved in turn.

       “Momma,” the girl whispered loud enough for me to hear. “Who’s that?”

       “This is Olivia,” Wendy said in a strained voice.

       “Hi,” I said, kneeling down and smiling at the six year old. “I brought you something.”