Chapter 20 | The Smell of Roasted Pine

Chapter 20

The Smell of Roasted Pine

Logan

       The drive from the studio to home felt longer without Olivia beside me. The twins were happily sleeping their lives away when Jason pulled the car in. It was just getting dark when Hayden spoke up.

       “Who’s that on the step?”

       I glanced up, not seeing who he was talking about.

       “Is that Joey?” Mom asked. You could hear the smile in her voice.

       “Honey no-” Jason started but Mom was already out of the car and halfway to the step. “You’re not supposed to run!”

       I chased her down easily in her pregnant state.

       “Joey it’s been so long!” Mom cooed, pulling the unsuspecting teenager in for a hug.

       “It’s nice to see you too Mrs. B.” He replied, wheezing for air.

       “Okay Mom.” I rolled my eyes. She always loved Joey. “Don’t kill him, you’d have to arrest yourself.”

       “Come on inside.” She released him slightly, the only indication she’s heard me. “We’ll get you some food, you’ve lost weight.”

       “And you’ve gained some,” he commented. “You been hitting the cheeseburgers or something?”

       Mom grinned. “Something like that.”

       “Is it a boy or girl?” he asked seriously as mom ushered him inside.

       “You’re guess is as good as mine.”

       “It’s another boy.” Joey nudged me in the arm.

       “What makes you say that?” Mom grimaced.

       “You have five boys Jordan,” he replied. “Could you even imagine a girl?”

       Mom sighed and Jason entered the kitchen.

       “I’m taking you to bed honey,” he said, putting an arm around Jordan. “That doctor said he would keep you in the hospital until the pregnancy was over if there are anymore complications.”

       “Fine,” Mom sighed.

       The thing about her was that never sat down. She was always running around doing things. She was one of the best Marshals. This whole pregnancy thing was going to kill her.

       Jason held on to her as she wobbled up the stairs.

       “Man this place hasn’t changed,” Joey muttered.

       “Not in looks,” I said. “But you would never recognize this place.”

       “I can’t believe your Mom is pregnant.” He shook out his curly brown hair. “Six kids under one roof is insane.”

       “Seven,” I corrected. “Olivia lives here too.”

       “What’s it like living in the same house as your girlfriend?” Joey asked, giving me a wink.

       I rolled my eyes. “It’s not like that.”

       “Sure it isn’t,” he laughed. “I know what went down between you and Rosie. You told me the dirty details.”