chapter 18 | An Old Friend

Chapter 18

An Old Friend

Logan

       Daryl was a tall man with a charming personality, a decent job, and twenty two years of life experience. I found him cool, until this moment. At this particular moment, I wanted to yell, scream, hit him, or whatever it would take to get him to listen to me.

       “You’re blowing this way out of proportion,” Daryl said, pushing back his brown hair that matched Raychel’s.

       “How so?” I asked, still pacing like I’d been for the last five minutes.

       “Because it’s past midnight,” he started, jumping off the table he’d been sitting on. “It was probably just some animal in the woods.”

       “Olivia said she saw someone watching us,” I replied. “I’m sorry if I don’t think she’s safe.”

       “But it was probably an animal, like I said. It’s pretty dark out there and it would be easy to mistake.”

       “So you don’t believe her?”

       “All I’m saying is that you guys had a long busy day, and you’re all exhausted.” He puffed his cheeks. “She could have seen anything.”

       “He’s right Logan,” Olivia piped up. “It was probably just my imagination.”

       “But what if it wasn’t?”

       “Then we’re far away from there and whoever it was will never see me again.” She looked so sure leaning against the doorway. When had she gotten so brave?

       She was so far from the sheltered and damaged girl she had been just five months ago. She had become so sure of herself, so confident. I admired her so much. I wasn’t going to be stupid and let her slip away from me.

       “See, she agrees,” Daryl spoke. “Why don’t you guys go get some sleep?”

       I sighed in defeat. “Alright, you guys win.”

       “It’s not a matter winning man. It’s a matter of keeping your girlfriend safe, I understand that. But it’s also a matter of being rational.”

       He gave me a pat on the back before heading down the hallway into his room.

       “It’s okay Logan, really,” Olivia said, coming up to me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

       “I’m not letting you leave my side,” I told her, grabbing her tightly.

       “But you smell.” She laughed and crinkled her nose. “Like do you ever shower?”

       “No,” I replied with a smirk. “Does that bother you?”

       “A lot actually.”

       I rolled my eyes, and leaned down to kiss her. “Shut up would you?”

       “Let’s go to bed,” she said, ignoring me.

       I grinned.

       This girl was absolutely perfect.

~~#~~

       Olivia was dancing her way through the crowds of the mall. I trailed behind her, pretending that I wasn’t with her.