(City of Heavenly Fire) Chapter Forty-Nine: Honesty

Skylar laid on the couch, her back facing Jace who had been staring at her for quite sometime. He could sense the fact that she didn't want to speak even though he had saw..a lot happen after Sebastian left. Getting sick, and some odd bleeding from her back....he hated not knowing what was going on to her. "Skye...what's going on?" He asked finally being able to speak out loud this time which made Skylar turn around and then sit up. She crossed her legs and pulled on her long sleeves. 

"I think I'm turning into an angel." Skylar whispered, she inhaled deeply and let out a soft sigh. "Well it's not a 'I think' I know I am. My wings are growing in that's why I bleed, and I feel sick..my entire body is trying to transform." Jace stayed silent and let out a soft sigh, he felt awful not knowing about this. But how would he have known though?  "I didn't want to tell you, and no it's not a trust thing. I-It's just I wanted to handle this on my own. Jace, you have this thing where you would do everything for me if I let you. If you had a choice, you would choose to go through this instead of me."

"Of course I would. Anything is better if I had to deal with it, the pain and everything else Skye! I am your boyfriend, I love you. I hate seeing you feel sick, I hate to see you bleed." Jace said, he moved forward and sat down beside her.  

"You can't always help me. Jace, do not involve yourself. I'll be fine.....okay? I just need you....so that I can hold your hand when I am in unbearable pain." Skylar joked which made him chuckle softly, this conversation wasn't over just yet. He needed to speak about something else as well.  "What is it?"

"Can we talk about what happened to Sebastian's blade when he tried to stab you? Skye, that blade bent like I have never seen ever before." Jace said, clearing his throat..that didn't make much sense...see the whole transformation did but the rest...no. 

"I-I can't explain that. Uh I don't know what happened but uh...if we had an angel..like Seraphina here she would be able to tell me about it." Skylar mumbled, clearing her throat...sometimes she wondered what would be different if Seraphina was still here. Things would have been so much easier than ever before but no...she wasn't here to help at all. "You know...he never tried to hurt me on purpose...."

"Not until today...because he knew that he just couldn't have you." Jace said quietly, clearing his throat. He didn't like to this about Sebastian wanting someone who belonged to him and him only.

"He was angry, it annoys me. How he looks at me...as if I am some trophy. I'm suppose to be his sister, someone he could depend on. I know...he was lonely. I was too....I was with him. And I still felt alone as a child. I could've tried to save him, I could have tried to bring him with me to Magnus's....I couldn't save him from any of this. I regret not being able to save him before this...all of this. I regret not noticing who he was b-before he took Max's life-I regr-" Skylar had paused as a tear rolled down her cheek. "Now I have to kill him, there's no way of saving him." And this was it, the one thing she had kept buried deep down inside afraid of how the others would react hearing every word that left her lips. "He's a dead man......though everyday...I am going to live with guilt...because I could have saved him........."

"You can't blame yourself, Skye. You were a wonderful sister, I know you were. You loved him, so much. You couldn't save him that wasn't up to you. Your mother had a choice, she saw the light in you and the darkness within him. She took you, she knew that you would survive everything that your father put you through. Skylnn, you did everything possible." Jace whispered as he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close. The heat radiating from him made her feel safe once again, calm and peaceful. Things would go back to normal soon...right? The room was filled with silence, the two had gotten comfortable on the couch before falling asleep in his arms. Skylar didn't mention how Jace...wasn't burning her at all...instead it felt as if he was in control of his heavenly fire.

Peace...it was the one thing that everyone truly wished and wanted. ~