(26)Sticky White Web

'A monster was slowly emerging from inside me; eating away at my sanity...'

Sticky White Web

Eight weeks?

It's barely been a week and already I was done waiting. My worries were doubling by the second, my pulse never quite slowing down all the way. Where was he? Was he safe? Did Ares plan this somehow?

Dividing us was smart.

We were strong together- just like Hera had said, but now, due to distance, we didn't have that foundation of support and love. Instead, Thanatos and I both had our hatred for the killers, and our desperate need to get all of this over with- and that would have to be enough.

Apollo, of course, knew that Ares was the culprit. How he found out about his half-brother's deeds, I suspect, was through Aphrodite and most probably, his legion of spies. The new king may look like status and his image was everything, but he was a conniving rat. I can only be grateful that he used his manipulative powers for more benevolent acts than siding with Ares.

Not that that would ever happen. If I've learnt at least one thing since being here, it's that Ares and Apollo cannot stand each other. And now even less so, now that Thanatos- the man that they loved loathing together- was gone.

I rubbed my head, a migraine forming. It was day six, and I frankly couldn't stare at the perfectly manicured garden outside anymore. At some point I was going to torch it and enjoy watching it burn.

"Aurora?" A soft voice spoke from the door. I rolled my eyes, but turned around with a small, polite smile.

"Artemis; what can I do for you?"

The young goddess smiled, her red hair framing her round face. Her eyes lit up with excitement; "I apologise for interrupting your lesson, but Apollo wishes to speak with you."

Great. Like I need another headache. "Of course, I just finished for today."

"Excellent, he's waiting for you in the throne room." His twin smiled broadly, her green eyes scanning my light yellow dress as I walked towards the desk. "Pretty dress..."

I smiled down at my books, gathering them in my arms. Was that jealousy I sensed from her tone? Of course it was. "Apollo was generous enough to give it to me. Sort of as a welcome gift."

To be honest, he gave me quite a lot of 'gifts' when I'd arrived; jewellery, dresses, shoes, books and all sorts of flower bouquets. He was really trying hard to get on my good side, which frankly, made it all the more satisfying to reject his charm.

What was it with men? Buying me dresses according to colour? Thanatos and his blues and greens, and Apollo with his lighter colours? I felt like a walking sign- 'Halt! This female is off-limits! Step away!'