(42)The Snowfall

'This little thing called a war...'  

The Snowfall

Hades' hall was filled with soldiers, their weapons ready and idle, waiting for the command to strike

The man himself sat seated on his blackened throne, his dark eyes firmly set on the map in front of him. I strolled up towards the broad steps, my footsteps echoing from the high walls. Hypnos turned around at the recognisable sound.

"Thanatos." I nodded my head up to them and went to stand next to my brother, his expression serious.

Hades and Poseidon eyed the map, their heads low and their eyes filled with calculation. I spotted Barrios in the corner, with Zaul and a few more elite reapers. They were working out a method of attack, their tactics and strategies laid out on the table.

Conrad stayed put at the entrance, along with a few more of Hades' best mages. They quickly conversed, Conrad slyly trying to find out more about the dark lord without tipping any of them off. I watched him speak.

The relief I had when the pendant didn't shock him was overwhelming. I knew I always joked around with Conrad, pretending to appear on his doorstep, ready to take him down to the Underworld, but I couldn't deny the fact that he had become one of my dearest friends.

He was a man I looked up to. I would never want to actually have to kill him. The thought of his snarky remarks and irrigating facial hair not being around anymore really irked me.

"We need to talk."I whispered to Hypnos. His eyes found mine with surprise.

"What is it?"

"Hades." I inclined my chin to the man who practically raised us.

Hypnos knew about the three names and was dreading the fact that Hades could potentially be the one. Of course, nothing was certain. I still couldn't shake the thought of Alexus being less honest than she appears. I never liked her. There was always something about her...

"It's him?" Hypnos' eyed widened. I shook my head slowly, not alerting anyone to our conversation. I watched as Hypnos nodded, a clear sign of relief exhaled form his parted lips.

"Not for certain." His relief was short-lived. He nodded, understanding my predicament.

Right now, we needed to find a way to subtly ask the lord of the Underworld whether or not he was involved in his older brother's demise and a long-running mission to commit treason against the kingdom.

Not as easy as it sounds.

To make matters a little bit more difficult, this man also has an army at his disposal. Yes, my reapers were many, but most of them were outside or already fighting some of Ares' men. So no help there.

I could easily take down Hades myself- I am the best fighter, apart from maybe Ares, so it wouldn't be a problem, but... I eyed Hypnos and the rest of the people in the large hall. Collateral damage.