(50.2)We left a Pale Ruin

'The right decision wasn't always the easiest...'

We left a Pale Ruin (Part 2)

The panic room door opened with a loud creak

I watched as Thanatos and Aurora stood at the front, their eyes focused on the darkness and their hands locked tightly with undying love. They've been through too much in such a short period of time. Almost a year, filled with equal amounts of pain and joy.

I pulled Trita deeper into my arms, her face buried in my neck. Her lower calf was bandaged; the wound still raw. Sonya and Barrios stood off to the side, their expressions emotionless as Aurora signalled for Alexus to exit the small room in Thanatos' library.

After Barrios had taken care to make sure Alexus was properly tied up with the help of Hephaestus' rope that we'd used on Hermes when he was still locked up in the dungeons, he tucked the vile mage away in this tight little crevice.

Conrad gritted his teeth and Shadow and Trimorphe snarled and hissed as the hazel-eyed woman emerged, her eyes locked onto Aurora's.

The young goddess lifted her chin and pulled Alexus with her to a secluded room. Only Thanatos and I were allowed to follow, but before we could close the door, leaving the rest staring after us in anger and sorrow, Conrad stepped in and grabbed Alexus' neck. The old man's face was twisted up in pain; "I hope you know what you did."

Alexus looked like she'd been slapped. Conrad shook his head with disgust. "I hope you know." With that the old mage left.

Aurora didn't look too surprised. She closed the door and sealed us in the small study.

Alexus was first to speak; "I-"

"I don't think I gave you any permission to speak?" Thanatos said with a bite. I leaned back against a table and watched, knowing that this was going to be the last time I'd ever see Alexus.

She shut her mouth and her eyes desperately moved to Aurora, but the young goddess stared ice at the mage.

Thanatos flicked his tongue; "Aurora told us everything. Every single thing. The plan, the confessions, the dreams, the tricks..."

"Trita and Sonya..." Aurora hissed like a snake from the side, her cold eyes burning with anger.

Alexus avoided our eyes and clutched her hands in front of her dress, but said nothing. She wanted to though- you could see the strain of holding back show in her hands; the veins popping up.

"You're about to die, Alexus." That got the young woman to shoot her head up, her eyes meeting red ones. Thanatos looked at her with amusement; "Oh, you're really shocked? Wow. That surprises me."

"I swear, I didn't want to go through with Ares' plan! All I wanted was-"

"-for Aurora to be yours?" Thanatos asked with a soft, teasing voice, like he was speaking to a child, but you could taste the anger in the air. He wasn't playing around.