(50)We left a Pale Ruin

'Red's not your colour, darling...'  

We left a Pale Ruin

I hit the water with a loud splash

The first thing I heard was Hypnos pulling Thanatos back from tackling Ares. Unfortunately for me, it looked far too late already. That was the danger of the river Styx.

One of two things could happen- either you lose your entire memory, never to get it back again, or you lose your voice for nine years.

If magic worked on it, I had no idea, but I sure as hell wasn't going down without a fight. I'd managed to form the invisible shell around my body just in time, before the water swallowed me whole. I remembered everything.

Thanatos- my love for him. The way we met. 

How he watched me from that dark mansion on the hill. How he introduced himself that night, dragging me up to an empty room and filling me with fear and so much dread for the unknown. That night; it was cold and the moon was so full, spilling over the edge and into the dark sky. The days he terrorised me, never leaving me to truly think or react to these new sensations. The way he glared at me, without me being able to see those beautiful red eyes that I now longed to stare into.

That first night he turned from a cat back to his true form, letting me see his eyes and having him in my bed, so close and yet still so far. The days that passed without him that had left me sinfully cold. Those days I would never have admitted to wanting to see him again or to hear him laugh. Because he was meant to be death and destruction. Because why would I want all that darkness in my life?

No one knew, least of all me. Then he was back, teasing and taunting me around my parents and friends, but at the same time, trying to help me. Why? Neither of us knew. That night he begged me to give in, but didn't push or force it when I'd said no. That night we'd kissed like there was more between us than just a bonfire; there were stars. There was a river.

There is an ocean.

There is steel and ice, and nothing on this plane of the world or even Earth was going to shatter it.

He took me to his home, treated me like his prized possession and then tore out that part of his brain, realising that he was the possessed. He was the infatuated one. I was the haunted. The one who just couldn't escape and frankly, didn't want to.

He never wanted to escape, but instead craved it. Yearned for that love he was starved of. I jumped at the chance to show him how love should feel, but he taught me more than I thought was even doable.

More than I thought he could.

The dark black water floated over my vision and I took these few seconds I had to clear my head to devise a plan.

I thanked all the gods in the abyss that I hadn't forgotten a single thing about Thanatos, or any of the friends I'd made along the way, or my past and my future plans; but this wasn't over just yet.