Chapter 8: Kasey & Jacob

Kasey POV

I never answered his question. Not because I didn't want to. More because I did not know if i did or not. We are now in his truck again heading to what I thought would be the baby shower, but he pulls into a department store. 

I look at him with a raised eyebrow. "I haven't had time to get the baby shower gift" he says sheepishly. I nod and get out the truck. We walk in, grab a cart and go straight to the baby section. "Boy or girl" I ask. "Boy" he says looking unsure at the display of baby bottle in front of them. "Is this their first" I ask as I head over to the diapers on the opposite wall. 

"Second, but they don't have anything for under a two year old" he explains. Odd, but not any of my business. I grab a pack of newborn diapers and place it in the cart, "You can never have enough diapers." He nods, "Any idea what else?" I walk over to the wipes and grab a medium box and it to the cart. "How about an outfit? Or a bumbo? Boppy pillow?" I list off things I know of. He looks at me confused. I roll my eyes and walk away to the next isle. I can hear him pushing the cart following me. I stop and show him the boppy pillow, "It has multiple different purposes." Putting it in front of him to see he nods, "Okay, lets get it then."

We spend the next few minutes grabbing a set of blue blankets and an outfit. "The party is in about fifteen minutes" Jacob says as he puts his phone back into his pocket. "Okay, but we should get gift bags and baby to put them in" I tell him. "Oh shit! Yeah. Yeah, I totally forgot" he says running his hand through his hair. "You okay" I ask. He nods. We make our way to the gift section and Jacob lets me pick the bags and tissue paper. When we check out I hand the cashier a twenty dollar bill before Jacob could object. When he glares at me I roll my eyes and put the bags in my hands instead of putting them back in the cart. Jacob pays and walks over to me trying to take the bags. I hand two of the four and then start heading to the exit. 

"I can carry them all Kasey" Jacob says from behind me. "Don't worry about it" I answer.He huffs from behind me. I hop into the truck and place the bags at my feet. He mumbles under his breath but to quiet for me to hear. I roll my eyes and put my sunglasses on and look out the window as he pulls out of the parking lot. 

We arrive at a farm within twenty minutes. I'm amazed at how beautiful it is out here. I notice a man with a beard come onto the porch. "That's Ben. He is my former unit leader and best friend" he explains. "Is he the one thats wife is having the baby" I ask. "Yes. Jessica is her name. Their daughter is three and her name is Nala" he adds. I put the gifts in the gift bags and then add the tissue paper. "I guess I didn't need the last bag" I say after finishing the third bag. "Okay. Let's go" he gets out of the truck and comes around to my side. I hand him the bags then hop down. 

"Jessica would've kicked your butt if you were any later" Ben chuckles. "Really, I not even" Jacob glances at his watch. "I'm actually on time" he states. "Well on time for Jessica is late" Ben laughs. "Pregnant people" he grumbles as we step onto the porch. "Excuse me Jacob Blane Willings!" I turn to see a blonde haired women  in her late twenties. Jacob winces realizing he is in trouble. "Ignore him dear" Ben says as he walks over to her and leads her back into the house. 

Jacob starts walking into the house as I follow. "Blane" I whisper in his ear. He grumbles knowing I now know his full name. I chuckle at his response. We make into a large family room that you can see straight into the kitchen. "This place is amazing" I state. "Yeah, Ben created this place majority on his own. Design and all" Jacob says. He walks over and places the gifts next to the others on the side of the room by the wall. 

"Hello, you must be Kasey" I turn to see Jessica to my left. "Yup that's me. You must be Jessica" I smile taking my sunglasses off and putting them on top of my head. "Its great that you could join us" she says with a smile. "Thanks for having me" I return the smile. Jessica is glowing and looks flawless in her floral maxi dress. "You look amazing" I compliment her. She chuckles, "Thank you. You look beautiful. Doesn't she Jacob?" Jacob heads snaps in our direction and his eyes meet mine. "Yes, she does. Beautiful." He keeps eyes contact me for a few moments longer before going back to his conversation with Ben. I try hard not to let my cheeks burn with a blush, but I know that there was no stopping it. 

"Let me introduce you to the others. Its mainly guys here, but don't let that fool you. We women defiently run them" she chuckles and leads me to a group of people surrounding the island in the kitchen. "This is Trey, Mattie, Grant, Brandon, Bianca, Belle, and Rachael" she names every one off. "Guys this is Kasey, Jacobs girlfriend" she adds. "Nice to meet you guys" I give them a sincere smile. "Actually is fiance" Trey states sounding annoyed. I notice Bianca glare at Trey. 

"Oh really? Sorry, I didn't know" Jessica says apologetically. "Oh, its okay. No big deal" I say as I continue watching Trey. Our eye contact is broken when Matt nudges Trey's arm. "You already met Trey" Jessica asks curiously. "Yeah, I have. Matt as well" I answer. "Oh, I guess that makes sense. Ben did say you came back with him from Portland" Jessica states. I nod. "You should hear how Trey was actually clubbing with her before she even knew that she was going to be engaged to the man that was dancing with her friend. Well I would say grinding is a better word. Right, Trey? You said you guys were defiently grinding." I roll my eyes annoyed, "Really Matt, I think we get it." Trey smirks, "Ahh, but you didn't deny it." "It happened. There is nothing to change that, but Trey your brother material not banging material" I snap sarcastically. Trey's face falls and anger fills his features. Jessica and the other girls look stunned at my words. The only one that seemed okay with what I said was Bianca. "Teaches you right to treat a woman that way" I hear her murmur. 

"Excuse me" I say and walk through the open back door onto the porch. Probably wasn't the best thing to say at a baby shower, but after high school I stopped giving two shits about what people thought which ended me loosing a filter. It was defiently something that make my parents even more unhappy with me. 

Jacob POV

I was right behind her when she spoke those words. It shocked me, which I am sure is understandable, but why the hell would she have to say that in the first place. She didn't even realize I was behind her when she walked out back. "Would someone like to explain to me what is going on" I grit out. Jessica jumps slightly realizing I was there and obviously heard part of their conversation. "Say thanks to those two" Grant mutters and points to Trey and Matt. I glare at them, but Grant adds, "You got yourself a feisty one. Good luck." Grant takes a long drink of his beer and walks away to were Ben is. "You boy better apologize" Bianca states to Trey then walks away with Belle.

"I'm sorry Jacob" Jessica says softly. I place my around around her shoulder and give her side hug. "Its not your fault Jess. Don't worry about. We will work it out" I kiss the side of her head. "Try not to fuck our relationship up anymore then it already is" I state to Trey and Matt. They both shrug and act like nothing happened. I release Jessica and start heading to the back door. "Are you mad about him getting the girl or that he wants to retire" I hear Ben snap. I sigh and walk out onto the back porch and see Jessica sitting on a blanket in the grass with Nala. They are playing with dolls, laughing and smiling constantly. 

"You know Nala never warms up to people so easily" I hear Jessica say besides me. I nod as my eyes stay on Kasey. "Don't let her go. It won't be easy but you guys make sense" she adds then walks away. "I won't" I mumble to myself.