Chapter 9: Jacob

As much as I wanted to get her alone and discuss what happened, I knew I had to wait until the baby shower ended and when we are alone. It was minutes away. "You seem to be zoning out a lot." I turn to my side to see Ben smirking at me. "Jessica told you what happened didn't she" I state. He nods, "of course." I run my hand through my hair. My eyes search out Kasey and find her giving her good bye to Jessica on the front porch. 

"They will get over it" Ben adds. I look at him confused. "The guys. Well Matt and Trey. They will get over it. They did when I retired" he explains. "Yeah, hopefully. I put in my papers last night. I am officially retired in eight months" I state. Ben slaps me on the back, "Congrats man!" 

"Thanks. I think thats why they were so mad. Told them last night over the phone. Grant and Brandon were the only ones that were happy for me" I state. "Want me to talk to them" Ben asks. I shake my head, "Just leave it be. Can't change how they feel. Its my choice." "Exactly."

Jessica makes her way over and stands next to me. "It was nice meeting you Ben" she smiles. "You too! Come by anytime! Jessica and Nala both would be ecstatic to see you before you leave back to Portland" Ben responds. "I will. Thanks!" She turns to me," Ready?" I nod then wave to Ben and we head to the truck. 

I open her door and give her hand to help her hop into the truck. Once her door is closed I walk over and jump into the drivers seat. Nothing is said as I pull out of the driveway and I start heading back to the house. 

"Thanks for coming with me" I break the silence. "Thanks for taking me. Jessica and Ben are great. Also little Nala" she says as a smile spreads across her face. "Yes, Jessica and Nala defiently seemed to be hooked" I joked. She laughs, "I will defiantly have to see them again before I leave." I nod, "Of course."

The silence consumed the truck again as we finished the drive to the house. When we walked into the house, I followed her into the kitchen. I placed the keys on the counter and lean on the counter as she pulls a water bottle out of the fridge and drinks some of it. 

"Can we talk about what happened" I ask. She places the water bottle on the counter across from me then leans on it. Knight comes into the kitchen and sits next to Kasey's feet. She pets his head and a small smile appears.

"Are you referring to when I said 'Trey you are brother material not banging material'" I say non nonchalantly. "Yeah" I try to hide my smile. "What about it" she continues to act like it wasn't a big thing. "Kasey, I'm sorry they are being difficult. They are mad at me and should not have taken it out on you" I tell her. Her face is shocked to hear me apologize for them. "Don't apologize for them. They are grown ass men that should know better. Why would they be mad at you" she asks. "I am retiring" I shrug. "Retiring? From the Marines?" I nod, "Yes. Last night I put in my final papers. I will be out in eight months" I explain. "Because we are getting married" she asks. "No, not really. I was planning to retire since about a year ago. I got hurt and I may have never fully gotten past it. The guys are upset because Ben just retired and weren't expecting me to retire so soon after him" I said as I ran a hand through my hair.

"What exactly do you do in the Marines" she asks as she sits down on the floor with her legs straight in front of her and starts petting Knight. "I am in the special operations unit" I answer as I fold my arms across my chest. "Like the seals" she questions. "Yeah, kinda. Its missions that we can't share any information about. Not even where we are going" I tell her. "So we get married in about two months, you can leave at any time and be gone for god knows who" her facial expression shocked me. She looked upset. "Yeah, basically. My retirement could even be postponed if I am away on a mission before and haven't returned." 

"Are we living here" she asks. It took me a second to respond because of the subject change. "Its up to you more then me" I tell her. "How?" I unfold my arms and stuff them in my pockets. "I figured you would want to continue to work at your dads company" I say it as more of a question. "Well, depends" she mutters. "Depends? On what" I ask. "What if we live here? I would have to get a job here? Do you have a plan for a job" she asks. "Well, if you want. If you don't I will have plenty of income to cover us both. I will have a monthly income from my retirement. Also I am planning to open a security business." 

"I guess I think about it. Bonus would be not having to deal with my parents" she chuckles. "Now you know why I don't live in Portland. My parents are two busy to travel for non business matters" I laugh. I look at Kasey and take in her features. She has grown into such a beautiful women that can grab any one's attention. And she is going to be my wife.