Chapter 3: A Terrifying Surprise

A/N: This chapter (and whole book, actually) is dedicated to my good friend Scotti_luv. She's been an amazing supporter of everything I've been doing and she's a great person. I'm so glad we just recently met. She's awesome! Go check her out. She just posted a new book called Instand Boyfriend: Just Add Water! It's got a great story plot. So this is for you, Scotti. I hope you like this! xoxo

______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 3

After that, Cole and I hung out for the rest of the day. It's amazing how we just met and yet, we're becoming the best of friends, all because I we both stopped at the exact same red light at the exact same time. Fate has a weird way of taking its course.

Now, we were driving in his car. He planned to drop me off at home, but I refused, telling him to go to the nearest Best Western which was right up the street. I didn't want to go back home - not after what happened. He took me there on my command, not wanting to push the subject any further. 

Once I got my room, Cole insisted on walking me up. What a gentleman. He carried my bags along the way, and stopped when we reached the door. 

He sat the bags on the patterned carpet of the hotel. He leaned in towards me, inching closer and closer until he reached my lips. He grazed his lips across mine, as if to make sure it was okay to go any further, and I showed him I accepted by moving my lips on his. It was a soft, sweet kiss, one that made my usually pale cheeks warm. 

He pulled away and smiled as he towered over me. "Goodnight, Kendall," The way my name came out of his perfectly formed lips sounded smooth, like creamy milk and honey. "Goodnight, Cole." I called as he walked out the hall and headed back to his car.

Shutting the door behind me, I slid down onto the floor, knees up and smiling like I had just won an Academy Award. I can't believe someone as good-looking as Cole, with his milk chocolate eyes and defined abs and gorgeous features, just kissed me.

* * *

I woke up to the glorious sunlight shining through the thin drapes. I shielded my eyes from the bright sun as my eyes tried to adjust to the brightness that now filled the room. I rubbed my eyes before forcing myself out of bed, when in truth, I didn't want to move; for some reason I was completely worn out. All I wanted was to be engulfed in my covers once again.

I rolled over and checked my phone, just as I always had, when I found a text from Cole. Good morning. Headed to work...If you need me, txt me. I shut my phone as a huge grin crept across my face. With that, I got up and got dressed, not sure where I would go. Maybe take a look around.

Slipping on my skinny jeans and a shirt that read Ed Sheeran with it's signature paw print, I grabbed my iPod and cell phone before heading to the lobby.

Plugging my headphones into my ears, I listened and bobbed my head along with the beat. I made my way towards the main office, where I noticed a tray of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Smiling, I took a bit of one, practically devouring it. The chocolate chips oozed in my mouth, electrifying my taste buds.

Just then, my cell rang. I took it out of my pocket, looking at the caller ID. I hesitated when I saw it was an unfamiliar number, but answered it, just in case. "Hello?" I said, grabbing yet another cookie from the tray.

"Hello, is this Kendall Duncan?" The voice asked over the reciever.

"Yes, this is she. May I ask who's calling?" I always used my manners over the phone, at least with people I didn't know who might have the wrong number. But since they knew my name, it didn't seem to be the case.

"This is the police department. It seems that your mother, Reese is dead.."

"W-what? She..she's....dead?" I spat out my cookie in utter shock, receiving a dirty look from the secratary, but no tears escaped my eyes. They didn't even form. I know it's wrong, but they just weren't coming. Then it finally hit me: she was dead. Gone. Deseased. How could my mother possibly be dead? Just yesterday, she was fine. Until..

"Do you by any chance know how she died?" I asked, biting my fingernails nervously, chipping at the tips.

"From the autotopsy results, it seems there was a large amount of alcohol in her body, which resulted in liver failure," I let out a sigh of relif, thankful that it wasn't from the damage I had caused her during the fight. I gulped. I hung up the phone, still in complete shock of what had just happened within ten minutes.

I ran out of the lobby in a hurry, bumping into a girl on the way, making her drop her luggage. "I'm so sorry," I say, helping her pick up her stuff which had fallen out of the bags. "Don't worry, it was my fault." she replied, shrugging it off. "No, really. I should watch where I look. I was in a hurry," I repeated.

I rushed to retrieve her things when I came across a red laced thong. She must have saw me looking, because her cheeks formed a red blush. "Uh.." she said embarassed, grabbing her thong quickly off the floor. She smiled, trying to hide the obvious embarassment plasted across her gorgeous face. All I could do was muster a laugh as she shone a genuine smile. Then she quickly ran off.

I swiped my fingers through my thick red hair before heading back to my room.