Chapter 6: Moving In

A/N: I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who's stuck with this story. It means a lot to me and I'm so surprised by how much support I've been getting. Thank you all! You're utterly fabulous and I would give you each a hug if I could. *virtual hug to all my fans* I guess that'll do for now..anyhoo, here's chapter six. I hope you like it! Don't forget to comment/vote, but mostly COMMENT. Need feedback! Thanks loves.

___________________________________________________________________

Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of the plane landing on the gravel road. My head, along with others of the passengers, was bobbing up and down. When we finally came to a complete stop, the pilot spoke over the intercom. "We have now landed in Washington. Please make your way into the airport in a calm yet steady manner. Don't forget your luggage. And of course, thank you for choosing SouthWest Airlines."

The voice sounded polite and cheery, as if the person speaking actually enjoyed their job here. I grabbed my luggage and made my way down the hall. Once Katherine, Dani, and I reached the airport, Katherine stopped in her tracks and sighed. "Is everything alright, Katherine?" I ask with concern. She didn't look so good. Her whole body was pale and she looked physically drained. She gave me a small smile, but I could tell it was faker than ever. "Everything's fine, dear. Just a little tired, that's all. It's been a long flight," she reassures me. I nod even though I don't believe her.

We walk outside and catch a ride in a cab. I'm squeezed between Dani and Katherine, as well as the luggage that wouldn't fit in the trunk. I could barely move my own finger. Dani scoots over, seeing that I'm struggling to breathe and I mumble a thanks, giving her a small smile.

I look outside through the windshield to think. I couldn't believe any of this is happening. For one, my mother suddenly died from all the alcohol, but what's weird to me is she's been drinking ever since dad died. How come she died right now and not sooner? And another thing: what if I hate my new home in Washington? What if my new family doesn't like me? I still have to meet Katherine's husband, John, and their son. I never even knew they had a son until Katherine told me on the plane. He was older than Dani by one year, which meant he was a Senior in high school. Dani and I are the same age, sixteen, and her brother's 18. I have a feeling living in my new home will be harder than I thought.

* * *

We get out of the cab after paying the driver. I see Katherine slip him a twenty. He nods before driving off.

"Welcome home, sweetie." She says, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and smiling down at me. I give her a smile before admiring the outside of the house. It's beautiful. The lawn is green and you could tell it was cut regularly. The house was huge. Not as big as a mansion, but pretty damn close. It was a big Victorian-style home. My mouth was open, jaw hanging. Dani must have caught me because she said, "Kendall, you're gonna catch flies," before laughing and walking into the house.

I follow her in, along with Katherine. She rings the doorbell instead of trying to find her keys somewhere in the pile of luggage. A moment later, John opens the door, smiling at us all. Dani walks in first. "Hey, pumpkin," he says, kissing her forehead. Katherine's next. "Nice to see you, sweetie," He smiles at her and kisses her lightly on the lips. They seem so in love, and this is the first time I've seen them together. Now it's my turn.

I walk in nervously, nibbling at my nails. "Hi, Mr. Shey." I say, smiling at the ground like a nervous wreck. "Hello, Kendall. Nice to see you," He hugs me and smiles, "I hope you'll enjoy yourself here. Katherine and I will try to make it as great as possible."

"Thank you, Mr. Shey." And when I say it, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. It's so kind of these people to take me in after my mother died. I couldn't possibly thank them enough. "Please, call me John." I nod before heading in. You never know, maybe I'll even start to call him Dad at some point.

"Spencer!" Katherine calls out, "Come down! We have a visitor!"

"Coming, mom!" I hear a deep voice call out. A moment later, I see a boy walk down the stair - a beautiful boy at that. As he makes his way down the spiral staircase, I watch him. Maybe I'm staring, I don't know and don't care anymore. He was truly beautiful.

"Spencer, this is Kendall. She's.." I give Katherine a look, hoping she doesn't tell him about why I'm staying here. She gets the message and continues, "..going to be staying with us for a while." There goes that smile again, always on her face somehow. I'm thankful she didn't explain any further details.

"I'm Spencer," he says in a smooth, sexy voice that I find intriguing. He reaches for my hand, but instead of shaking it, he pulls it towards his mouth. He plants a soft kiss on my skin, and I can feel it tingle as he draws away. It's as though his kiss is permanently on my skin. "Pleased to meet you," I know I'm blushing, but no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stop it. "I-I'm uh.." Think Kendall, I think. Don't stand there stuttering. He's going to think you're crazy. I swallow before answering, more confidently this time, "I'm Kendall. It's nice to meet you as well." He smiles. It's bright and cheerful, lighting up the whole room. "The pleasure's mine," He responds, giving me a wink.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and smile, all giddy inside. I can see Dani in the corner of my eye, fists clenched, eyebrows drawn. She catches me looking and tenses up, but quick enough, she's back to normal again.

"Help Kendall with her bags, will you?" Katherine asks him kindly. "And you could always help her unpack," Spencer nods and smiles, carrying my bags up to my room like a pure gentleman. And at that moment, I swear I'm in love. Again.