Chapter 7: Reliving a Nightmare

A/N: I'm gonna try and make this three pages at least. Let's see if I can do it. :P Anyway, this is chapter seven. Hope you like! Don't forget to check out my character contest for an upcoming book I'll be writing. Promise this next one won't be cancled or put on hold! I've been really inspired for this next story and really want to go through with it once I finish Fixing You.

* * *

Chapter 7

Spencer sat my bags down before shutting the door behind us. I gave him a skeptical look, but he didn't seem to notice. After a while, I started to unpack, shoving all my clothes into the drawers, sitting photos in frames atop the dresser and next to my bed. I took out one. It was a picture of my mother, father and I down by the beach. We were smiling and laughing, a big happy family. I had to be about six at the time, gripping my father's hand for dear life as him and my mother smiled. I could see they were easily in love. But of course, we all knew that went downhill when daddy died.

I sighed before wiping a tear from my cheek.

"Are you okay?" Spencer asked. I turned away so he couldn't see my face. "Uh..yeah," I sniffled, "I'm fine."

I knew he didn't believe a word I said, but he just shrugged, turning back to unpack my belongings. "You know, you don't have to do that. I can do it," I said, not trying to sound defensive, I just didn't think he should have to help unpack my things. "It's fine," He gave me a smooth chuckle. Somehow, no matter how much I told him he didn't have to, I knew he wasn't going to listen. 

Once everything was unpacked, it kind of started to feel more like home. The pictures I've taken over the years are posted on the wall using tacks, my clothes, along with the new ones Katherine had bought me, are in the drawers, and the rest of my things are in the closet. 

As Spencer walked out, I said, "Thank you," He looked back at me from down the hall, pausing before answering. A smirk was on his gorgeous face. "No problem, little red." He brushed his fingers through his hair and made his way to his room.

I checked the time. It was ten-thirty and after a hard day, I was getting tired. I quickly changed into my boxer shorts and a tank top, my usual sleepwear, and nestled under the warm covers. Before you know it, I drifted off into a deep sleep.

* * *

Livi and I started driving home, her in the passenger side without her seat belt on. We were happy as ever, singing along as the music blared from the speakers. We'd just left the biggest party of the year, hosted by the infamous Jake Chalmers. We were so drunk, but when Jake asked if he could give us a ride, I refused. "Jake, I'm not that drunk," I said, slurring my words. "Whatever, don't say I didn't warn you," He shot back. 

Here we were, driving home. We sung loudly, screaming and shouting and having a good time. We laughed as we danced in the car, completely unaware that the light had turned green. All of a sudden, the truck rammed in the back of us, sending Livi flying out the windshield. 

I was tangled in the mesh and debris from the car, and when I suddenly awoke, all I saw was blackness. I struggled to see, so I rubbed my eyes a few times. My head was pounding and I could feel something dripping on my forehead. When I lifted my hand to my head and withdrew it, it was covered in blood. I knew I had gotten injured in the accident, but then I remembered Livi.

I struggled to make my way out of the mangled metal, and with much determination, I did. "Livi? Livi, where are you?" I was frantically on the road searching for my sister. "Livi, come on. Where are you?" I searched everywhere I could, but couldn't find her. Then I noticed a body about ten feet away, lying on the gravel road. "Livi?"

I fled over to her, bending down on the road. Her face, as well as her whole body, was covered in blood. She was almost unrecognizable. The only way I knew it was my sister was because of the locket around her neck. I had given it to her for her birthday. It was the shape of a heart, and inside had a picture of us when we were little, hugging each other and smiling.

"Livi? Livi!" I started to scream, cradling her in my arms. "Someone help! Help!" I cried into her naturally blonde hair, freely flowing all around her. In a way, it looked like a halo.

I figured it was no use just crying, so I found my phone and dialed 911. I heard someone on the other line, but I couldn't speak. All I could do was sob.

In a matter of time, I saw red and blue lights in the distance. An ambulance pulled up and cradled Livi on a gurney. "Livi. Livi!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I tried running to her, but before I could go any further, I felt the strong muscular arms of a police officer around me. "Livi!" I started screaming and crying, feeling the most unbearable pain ever.

I stood there, my face in my hands as I continued to sob uncontrollably. My shoulders shuddered, but all of a sudden I heard a faint whisper. "I love you, Kenny." It said. It was eerily familiar, and that's when I recognized it as my sister's.

At that moment I knew she was dead. I had lost my only sister, my only hope, all because of me.

* * *

"Kendall! Kendall, wake up!" I felt strong arms shaking me frantically, trying to wake me up. Suddenly I was fully alert, noticed that I was covered in sweat. My voice was hoarse from screaming her name. Livi..Livi!

I knew that I had had another nightmare, reliving the time I had killed my sister in an accident. Olivia wasn't only my sister, but my best friend. She was the only one who understood me, that was there for me every time I had been abused by my mother. She was abused too, and just last year, she had died, all because of me.

I looked up to see a worried expression on Katherine's face. At that moment, I felt hopeless, sad, and confused. All I could do was cradle my head in her arms and cry.

She held me in her arms, stroking my hair and tucking strands behind my ear. "Shh.." Her tone was relaxed and calmed me a bit. "It's okay, it was all just a dream.." But the thing is, it wasn't "just a dream." It was a recurrence of the nightmare I had lived just a year ago.

I was extremely grateful for Katherine. She tried comforting me the best she could, and at that moment I felt like I had a real mother. Not a mother that abused me, but a real mother. One that cared for me, that wanted to see me succeed, and was proud to call me her daughter.

Just thinking about that made me cry more. I'm surprised she didn't ask what was wrong.

"Go back to bed, sweetie. If you need me, I'm right down the hall." She lay me back on the bed, tucking me in.

As she was walking out, I turned to face her. "Good night, mom.." I whispered. She didn't respond. Just smiled to herself before walking off.

* * *