Chapter 5: Saying our Sweet Goodbye's

A/N: I know this chapter is short, but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging! Forgive me if it's not as good as the others. I was kind of slacking, plus I'm really busy, but still wanted to upload. So here's chapter 5.

______________________________________________________________

I packed my bags, getting ready to leave the only place I could ever call home. I'm not too sad about it though. It's not like I have anything to leave behind. No friends, no family. Nothing except for a few pieces of clothing and photos from years growing up, which will all be taken with me.

Once I'm done packing, I sit in my room for a while longer. I never would have expected any of this to happen. How could my mother die at such short notice? The only thing that really sucks about leaving is Cole. I had told him later after the funeral that I'd be living with Katherine. He tried not to cry, at least in front of me, but I could see how badly he wanted to.

Right now, both of has retreated to the couch in the living room after he came over to help me pack. All of a sudden, we heard a knock at the door, knowing who it was before I opened it. "Hey Katherine," I say shyly. "You ready, kiddo?" she asks, forcing a smile. I knew she could see how much I would miss Cole, and probably pitied me.

With a slight nod, I make my way to Cole as he scoops me tightly in his arms, lifting me off my feet. After he sets me down, he looks deep into my eyes and I can see the intensity that's been built there. "I know we just met a few weeks ago, but you've become a major part of my life since then," He states, his eyes becoming glossy. "I'm not ready to let you go just yet, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to." He looks away from my eyes and into the distance. If only I didn't have to leave. Things would be better then. "I knew the time was coming; I just didn't think it would be this hard." Just then a single tear sheds from his beautiful eyes and onto his scruffy cheeks. It hurts me to see him in pain, especially knowing I'm the cause.

"Cole, look at me," I grab his face, making him look into my eyes, "I'll never forget you, never." I give him a half-hearted smile, hoping that will make him feel slightly better. He smiles a bit, but then his face turns serious. "I love you, Kendall," He tucks a strand of hair that managed to escape behind my ear. Resting his hand lightly on my cheek, he pulls me into a kiss. Even though it was short, it was one filled with longing and despiration. Once he withdrew, I squeezed his hand tight. "I love you too," I whispered. And with that, Katherine and Cole helped my store my luggage into the truck. Driving away, I could see Cole standing in my doorway, his eyes sending me a message: Don't go.

* * *

Cole POV

As much as I didn't want her to leave, I know she had no choice. It was nice of Katherine to take her in, considering she'd lost the only family she ever had. Things would be better for her now. She would grow up with a better life, one without hatred and abuse, and she would become an extraordinary woman. One thing's for sure: I'll miss her with all my heart.

I'm glad I told her how I really felt, that I had fallen in love with her, but in a way, it wasn't how I planned it to be. I didn't even get to tell her everything, I hadn't had enough time to truly express my feelings towards her. And now, I would never get another chance. I would never see her again, and just like that, the love of my life slipped from my grasp, quicker than the speed of light.

_______________________________________________________________

Kendall POV

Katherine was asleep next to me as the plane flew throughout the bright blue sky. Dani was there too, head rested on her mother's shoulder. It was only a four hour flight to Washington, my new home. Tears escaped my eyes as I looked out the window, out into a world I no longer knew.

I wasn't ready to leave, especially since that meant leaving Cole behind. Yes, we had each other's numbers, and yes, we could call each other whenever we wanted, but it wouldn't be the same. It would never be the same.

Just then, the flight attendant strolled down the aisle, stopping her cart next to me. "Do you need anything to eat or drink, ma'am?" She asked kindly. Her blonde hair was braided tightly in a side ponytail, resting on her shoulder. She wore her uniform proudly, her hat tipped to the side. A wide variety of sodas were aligned on the cart, varying from Ginger Ale to Coke to carbonated water. Snacks such as little bags of pretzels and crackers also lined the cart. I tried to hide my free-flowing tears before turning to her. "No thank you," I mumbled. And with that, she continued down the aisle.

I closed my teary eyes and let my thoughts engulf me into a well-deserved sleep.