Chapter 16: Mozzerella Sticks and Waffle Fries

Chapter 16

I looked out the window of the plane, down at the fluffy white clouds and spacious blue sky. From what I could see, looking below, everything was the size of a grain of rice. Cars whizzed by in the windy streets as if they were an entire ant colony. As the plane continued to make it's way up, the sight below dwindled down until you could see nothing but the white of clouds. To me, seeing only white was scarier than seeing the houses and cars below. At least you knew what was down there. With all the clouds, I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere.

I closed by eyes and before you know it, we were landed. It seemed like just a few minutes ago, I was still sky-high in the air.

I walked behind the passengers who were getting off the plane. People pushed and shoved one another, putting the term orderly fashion straight out the window. One by one, people opened the compartments above to collect their luggage. After twenty minutes of the commotion, I was off and wheeling in the airport.

I searched desperately for Cole, who was supposed to be picking me up. He told me he'd be waiting as soon as I got out, but so far, I hadn't spotted him. Sighing, I looked for a restroom to straighten up a bit.

Looking into the mirror, I almost collapsed. My hair was sticking out all over the place and managed to escape my messy bun. My eyes had bags under them as if I hadn't slept in weeks, which, in a way, is true. Ever since Katherine and John gave me a plane ticket to see Cole, he's all I've been thinking about. I couldn't even get to sleep because he would always be on my mind.

I gathered my long red hair and braided it into a fishtail, hoping it would be more secure. Dabbing a bit of concealer onto my face, I rubbed it in under the bags. I applied a light shade of pink lipstick before rushing out of the bathroom in search of Cole — again.

After another ten minutes of looking for him in the crowded airport, I was starting to get pissed off. Where are you?! I texted him, hoping he would respond soon.

I turned the corner and spotted a Starbucks. I got in line, figuring I'd need some modivation to keep looking any longer.

"Welcome to Starbucks, may I take your order?" the cashier asked.

"I'll have a vanilla bean creme frappuccino,"

After pressing several buttons on the register, she looked up to me with a warm smile. "That'll be $4.25,"

I dig through my purse for money, but all I seem to find is loose change. After digging around for a little longer, I find three dollars in bills. I give her the three dollars, plus five quarters to complete my total, even.

"Name please?"

"Lorraine McFly,"

Every time I come to Starbucks and they ask for my name, I give a silly one instead of my real one. Why give something real when you can have more fun with something fake?

I wait patiently for my frappuccino when someone bumps into me accidentally. "I'm so sorry, I-" I begin before the stranger looks up and meets my eyes.

"Surprise?" Cole says with a goofy grin. "I was going to surprise you by getting you a frappuccino, but it seems like you've already done that.." He chuckles lightly as the cashier hands me my frappuccino.

"Really? Lorriane McFly?" Cole points to my drink and gives a laugh. Every time he laughs it reminds of me of something light and bubbly.

Taking a long sip, I reply, "Hey, don't hate. Back to the Future is my favorite movie, and even when I was little I had a crush on Marty."