f o u r

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍—𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍
—𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯—

BEXLEY DIDN'T WANT to go to the cafeteria again later on that day, even if Poe was going to be by her side. She didn't want to be near anyone at the moment, she needed to focus on the tasks at hand; her reading. Hell, she could be practicing her piloting skills at the moment if she wanted to.

So, instead of answering the door when Poe knocked for her, she ignored it. Bexley kept her eyes on the book in her hands, her eyes skimming over each and every word to store in her memory. Poe presses his ear to the door, concerned as the girl didn't respond to him.

"Bexley?" he asks, tapping his knuckles against the door again. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," Bexley says quickly. "I'm just not hungry right now. Go on without me, alright? We can meet up in the morning."

Poe furrows his eyebrows, confused in her words. "Come on, you need to eat, you didn't this morning."

"I'm fine," the girl insists, not paying any attention to the conversation at hand. "Just go on without me, okay?"

He doesn't reply, only stepping away from the door. Without another word, he descends down the brightly lit hallway, all the way to the cafeteria. Bexley frowns, wishing that he would've stayed to help with the stress she was facing once again. But instead, he had listened, and left her to herself.

The girl runs her fingers through her silky blonde hair, feeling her temples ache from what she was putting herself through. Bexley knew the course wouldn't be easy, but it was only her first day and she was already doubting her abilities to continue. She could no longer focus on the words on the page in front of her.

What if she couldn't live up to her potential? What if she were to slip up even once, and let down everyone who was counting on her?

She grits her teeth, burying her face in her knees as she places her book to the side. Bexley knew she needed to eat, to take a nap, to talk to Poe- anything that would help her with what she was forcing upon herself.

Within minutes, her bedroom door was opening, and Poe waltzed in with a tray of food in his grasp. Bexley looks up, caught off guard by his arrival, but happy, nonetheless.

"Whether you like it or not, I'm here," Poe says, offering her a smile as he sits down on the bed in front of her.

He sits the tray down in front of her, his chocolate brown eyes finding the textbooks on the bed. "So this is why you weren't answering?"

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it," she sighs, her cheeks heating up. "But without you and the others around to distract me, I felt the pressure again, and I just . . . it felt like too much to handle until I picked up a book."

"You could've went to the cafeteria first," Poe says, shaking his head at her words. "This isn't what you should be worrying about. All those other recruits out there? They're having fun, Bexley. And you should be, too."