n i n e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀—𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀
—𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴—

POE DEBATED WITH his conscience for a few minutes, pacing outside of Bexley's room. She had left the door unlocked, and sat in the corner next to her bed. The girl's head rested against the wall as she tried to calm herself. Poe knew that she would want some time alone, away from him for a while. But he didn't want to leave her when she needed him the most.

Bexley was in denial, to say the least. And because Dawn had all of the evidence, she knew she would have to face the truth sooner or later; that made it hurt even more. The blonde refused to believe anything at the moment, and decided that if she wanted to pass this flight school, she would have to focus on other things. So, for the time being, she would have to push all of this to the side.

Poe tapped twice on the door, slipping a hand to the doorknob when there was no response. Even if Bexley didn't want him there, he would stay. He would always stay.

Closing the door softly behind him, Poe met Bexley's dull eyes. She broke their gaze after a short moment, her attention turning to the ceiling. Her knees were pulled to her chest, her arms sitting firmly on top of them.

"We should probably get back to reading," she breaks the silence as he sits down across from her, his back placed against her bed. "The last thing I need right now is to fail the exam."

"I think you have other, more important problems at the moment," Poe interrupts. "And I think you know it, too."

"I can't think that way," Bexley shakes her head. "It's another distraction within itself, and I don't need that. I can deal with this afterward, and focus on my work now."

"Do you think that being miserable is going to help your performance ability?" He raises an eyebrow, leaning forward. "Bexley, I know everything is tough right now, but you can't sit back and act like everything is okay when it isn't."

Bexley's stomach churned, her body flooding with warmth at his closeness. But she couldn't focus on that- not at a time like this. Instead, she sunk farther into the floor, closing her eyes.

"You're right," the blonde shrugs, her eyes still closed. "I'm not okay. Nothing about this is okay- none of it. I'm just not sure how to deal with all of it at once."

"You tend to pressure yourself." Poe states, confident with his words. "You want to live up to expectations, and I understand that. But you're hurting yourself with all the stress, and it's not healthy."

"I don't know how to relax anymore," she says honestly, finally meeting his stare. "It's foreign to me."

"Well," Poe pauses, his expression going from concerned to soft. "We still have a few hours until your curfew."

"And?"

"I have something to show you," he stands, holding out his hand to her. "We need to hurry, though. Come with me."