f i v e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀—𝘩𝘦'𝘴 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀
—𝘩𝘦'𝘴 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵—

BEXLEY COULDN'T STAND her classes that day. Poe walked her to and from all three of them, but Bexley didn't seem to pay attention to anything he was saying to her. It was as if she had gone deaf; when in fact, she had only tried to tune out her stress and the noise surrounding her.

And by the time lunch rolled around, Poe wasn't sure if he should take her to her room and bring lunch to her, or if he should urge her to join the other recruits. But Bexley had made the decision for him, and silently led him to the cafeteria.

"What's wrong with you today?" Poe stops her before they enter, grasping her arm lightly so that the girl would turn to face him.

The moment his skin touches hers, Bexley's arm grows warm, and sparks seem to travel through her veins. Poe feels it too, dropping his hand as his expression stays composed. The two shrug it off, keeping focus on the topic at hand.

"Nothing," the blonde insists, her eyes finding his. "Lets go."

"Not until you tell me what's going on," he shakes his head, concern flashing in his eyes, before it disappears. "You can lie all you want, but I know something isn't right."

"Poe, I'm fine, I swear-"

"Please," he cuts her off, hoping that she would open up to him. "Just tell me."

Bexley stares into his eyes, wanting to deny him again. But she couldn't, it didn't seem right to keep shoving her stress away.

"I'm just worried about tomorrow," she sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "You're not going to be here to help me, and it just adds to my stress."

"What did I tell you about stress?" Poe questions. "You don't need to worry about anything. Tomorrow night, when I get back, I'll bring your books down so you can read. And you can do it as many nights as you want this week until you finish your books."

"You'll be exhausted, don't worry about it," she shakes her head, her heart growing warm at his offer to help her every night he could. "I'd rather you get some rest, and we can start the night after."

"I'd rather be exhausted than put you through another night of misery," he states. "Now, you need to stop worrying. Go have some time with your friends, and I'll be back to get you in half an hour, okay?"

Bexley can't help but give into the smile that forces its way onto her lips, nodding at his words. "Okay. Thank you, Poe."