s e v e n t e e n

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉—𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉
—𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯—

TO SAY THAT Poe was surprised was truly the understatement of the century. It was not even three days after Bexley had supposedly died in the crash, and Leia was already preparing him for another crucial and dangerous mission? The man stands as Leia joins him, Spencer leaving them to disperse with the other pilots from the meeting. Poe bites down hard on his tongue, not wanting to sound rude to his general; so instead he cleared his throat, and his shaky voice begins.

"I'm sorry, General, but did you just say that you have a mission ready for me?" The raven-haired man asks, his dark eyes searching hers. "Because I don't think I'm ready‒"

"This task is meant only for the brave, and I am giving it to you to take your mind away from the pain you're battling," Leia sighs, placing her hand on his cheek. "You and I both know you need a distraction for the moment. And I have one already selected."

Closing his eyes and swallowing back the urge to walk away, Poe nods. "What did you have in mind, Leia?"

"There is a map on Jakku that leads to my brother‒ Luke." She pauses for a moment, her hand dropping as she looks to the floor. "And I need you to retrieve it for me and bring it back here safely. Now, I won't be sending you alone, but I can't have too many pilots going either. The First Order is watching our every move, and we want this to be as averting as possible; to go without being seen."

"With all do respect, General Organa, why in the galaxy would you want a part of the map?"

"It's been a long enough period of time since I've last seen my brother," Leia gives him a weak smile. "And, as you know, going a time without the ones you love can prove to be extremely difficult. Especially when the days grow into weeks, months, then years . . . it's quite hard, if I do say so myself."

"Leia, you know I'd do anything for you," Poe sighs, running a hand down his face. "But I have to find her. I know the First Order has Bexley. Why, I have no idea, but we need to get her out of there before she's gone for good. Do I have your permission to leave the base?"

Leia's fond gaze dwindles over him, finding the sincerity and hope within his eyes. He wanted this more than anything, she realizes, tilting her head to the side. "I'll make you a deal. If you complete this mission and make it back in a stable condition, I will undoubtedly allow you and a few others to venture wherever you wish to search."

Poe's lips part, a bit of shock running through his veins. But he pulls himself together, and conceals the radiation of happiness that seeps from his bright smile. Leia gestured to the meeting room behind her, ready to explain the task ahead.