Chp 2

By the time I got home, my dad was in the kitchen washing dishes. I walk in and put my bag on the table.

"Hey, how was dinner?" he asked while scrubbing a recently used pan.

"It was good, oh Armin's grandpa says hi" I answered.

"You didn't eat too much did you? 'cause I was in the city today and got a pie from this bakery I passed, you want some?" He opened the fridge pulling out a chocolate cream pie, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

"Is that even a question?" I grab two small plates, forks, and a knife from the cupboards. My dad chuckles and cuts out two pieces. I grab my fork and begin to dig in.

"AHEM?" I look up right before I stuff my face and realize my error. "Did you happen to forget about grace?" my dad looked at me with a stern look.

"Uh sorry I wasn't paying attention" I put my fork down and bring my hands together. My dad narrows his eyes but eventually closes them.

I watch him as he starts, "Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen."

I close my eyes before he opens his and mumble "amen". We finally start eating our dessert. I tell him about my day, other than his constant preaching he really isn't a bad dad. He supports me and is always excited to hear my stories.

I eventually got to the Sasha and Connie subject, it was a mistake. "Hmm, how about you? Got any crushes? Any girls you like?" He smirked at me.

I get a little anxious when he asks that Uhhhhh shit "Eh not really. There aren't any girls I find appealing in this town. " I quickly make up words. I mean I'm not totally lying.

"Really? What about Mikasa, she seems pretty nice right?" He keeps pushing.

"Ew no, she's like a sister I can't" I laugh a bit now that is true. "I mean this town is so small and everyone knows everyone. I don't want to date anyone here it'll be the talk of the town" My dad laughs with me this time.

"Yeah, I guess you're right" Phew dodged a bullet there. "College is the place to meet girls you'll find a nice lady"

"Heh yeah, I guess so" I awkwardly smile.

Bing My phone goes off. A text from Armin. I grin when I read it "Hey dad?" I ask as he starts cleaning up the table "Yes?"

"Can I spend the night at Armin's tomorrow? He invited me to see a new movie in the city." I ask as nicely as possible knowing his probable answer.

"Hmm tomorrow, Saturday night, you have church. I don't think you should be out late" He answers.

"But the choir isn't playing this weekend! I'm not needed! I swear I'll-" I'm cut off.

"Young man you are always needed. God doesn't take days off when he isn't needed" He snorted, emphasizing the last part. I pout and go to text Armin the news.

With one last attempt to get through to the guy, I start bribing. "I promise I'll be there even if I'm tired, I'll do the dishes for a week! Please I never get to do anything on the weekends!" I beg.

He sighs "Fine, but! I don't want you two alone in the city as long as his grandpa is there...go ahead." Wow that went shockingly well

"Oh but don't make any plans for next weekend 'cause I'm taking you to dinner for your birthday!" he exclaims.

"O-okay! Thanks Dad!!" I hug him and go upstairs to my room to start packing before he can change his mind.

- - - - The next day - - - -