Chp 10

My footsteps slowed as my friend and I got closer to my house. The car was in the driveway so my dad was indeed home. I quietly walk up the porch and stop at the front door. I raise my fist but pause when I notice it shaking. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look down to see Armin trying to comfort me. I take a deep breath and gather my courage.

Knock

Knock

Knock

I back a few steps from the door and wait.

A few moments later the door's latch *clicks* and the door opens slowly revealing my father's blank face. His eyes go back and forth between Armin and me, not giving us an idea of what his thoughts might be.

"I-I uh, came to, get my stuff" I started.

Without a word my dad nodded, opened the door, and crossed his arms. Armin and I cautiously walked in and made our way to my room. Armin starts cleaning out my dresser and I glance at the box under my bed that held so many secrets. I slipped the box under a ball of clothes in a bag making sure Armin didn't notice.

After a few minutes of packing, "Y-you're really gonna go down this road?" My dad's voice called from the door.

I looked up, stuffed two shirts into a bag, and zippered it shut. "Yeah." I tossed the bag to the small pile that accumulated at the foot of the bed. Emotions started to rise as I continued, "You know why? Because I can't be here if you won't accept me."

"I can't! I-I won't! Son listen to me, you have to stop. You're betraying God!" He ordered.

I look at Armin as he finishes cleaning out a drawer and nod. That's our cue that it's time to leave before anything bad happens and we walk past my father holding the few bags of my things. "Bye Dad," I mumble.

As I go to close the front door behind us my father's voice stops me, "...I'm sorry." I listen but refuse to look back. "Your cheek... it got... out of hand. I never meant to-"

Silently cutting him off, I close the door behind me.

- - - - A few days later - - - -

I am rudely awakened by a screech followed by a weight thrown on top of me.

"EREN! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!"

"A-ARMIN G-GET OFF OF ME!" I laugh pushing my friend off of me. He lands on the floor next to the air mattress I'm on with a thud.

I sit up on one of my elbows and look down at the blonde. "Thanks," I mumble. Today was bittersweet, and Armin knew it too.

"...Well! Grandpa's making pancakes, chocolate chip." He smiles as he gets back to his feet, cheering me up.

"Those sound great right now." I follow him downstairs.

Breakfast goes smoothly, we basically shove chocolate chip pancakes down our throats they were so good. Even the home nurse had some. We talked and laughed the whole time.

Maybe today might actually not suck.

At school all my friends had a little celebration at lunch, Sasha made cupcakes in her culinary class and they were surprisingly tasty. I guess that class was a good decision on her part. Not kidding she legit burnt cereal once. Jean and Armin talked for a while as Marco and I chatted about class.

"Hey Jeager, can I use your phone for a second? I forgot my homework folder at home and need to call my mom to bring it." Jean asks, cutting off Marco.

Confused I say, "Why can't you use your phone?"

"Ran out of data." He calmly says.

"...Alright." I open my phone and give it to him. Why do I not trust this?