Chp 26

(Don't Press Play Yet)

The doctor got to us and we all stood up. He motioned for us to sit down as he took a seat on the small table across from us. Something is wrong. No, he can't be.

"Good news is that he is stable." The entire group lets out the breath we all held. "His injuries were very severe, though he had no concerning outside wounds besides some nasty road rash, he had major internal bleeding in his abdomen. We were able to stop the bleeding in time but he has two broken ribs, I'm honestly surprised that's all he broke, based on the violent nature of motorcycle accidents. We also had quite a scare in the O.R, he did crash on the table and we had to restart his heart, but we had no further complications with his body." He hesitated, "However the bad news is that we discovered a brain bleed. After finding out he was not wearing a helmet, we immediately rushed a neuro examination. Because of this, I don't know how his mental state will be. His memory might be affected and he is at a much higher risk of falling into a coma. We have someone on watch 24/7 and he hasn't shown any signs yet but all I can say is.....he's very lucky to be alive."

Suddenly Hanji jumped him. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. "Thank you so much doctor! You saved him!" She wept into his shoulder.

When she finally let go he informed us when we could see him in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). We waited a little while longer before a nurse took us to his room. She stopped us outside the room and informed us with a kind smile, "Now I want you to be prepared for what you'll see. He is attached to some tubes and machines, they're just helping him breathe, don't be scared by them. He has bandages on his head, torso, and arms, we ask just not to touch them. Other than that, he is still unconscious but is doing very well."

We thank her and Hanji and Erwin enter the room. I, however, take a seat across from the doorway. My dad sits next to me and bows his head. "Eren, what do you need?"

"What do I need?" I sass. "What I need is to go back in time and stop him from ever leaving. What I need is to wake up from this nightmare. What I need is for him to be ok!" I say.

"Go in there Eren, go see him." He says.

"But what if he wakes up and doesn't want to see me again? Or worse, forgets me?! I broke his heart!"

"I don't think he will, I think you are the first thing he wants to see when he wakes up."

"O-Ok." I stand up and slowly enter the room. My eyes widen when I take in the scene. Levi laid on a hospital bed, sitting him up slightly. His eyes were closed and his mouth was open as a small clear tube stuck out, connecting him to a machine. He had an oxygen tube under his thin nose and his head was wrapped in white bandages that covered most of his black hair. I heard a beeping of the heart monitor, keeping his heartbeat in a slow, chilling rhythm. A hissing sound matched with his chest rising and falling ever so slightly as a machine breathed for him. The blankets were pulled up to his middle and his arms sat on top of them, lifeless. My eyes travel to his hands where an IV stuck out, pumping a clear liquid from the hanging bag and I see his tattoo poking out a little from under the bandages around his arm. If I wasn't told otherwise, I would have thought he was dead. I feel dizzy as remorse rose inside me.

Hanji sat next to the bed as she stroke his cheek. They've known each other since they were kids, I can't imagine what she was feeling right now. "....Shorty..." She said in a broken voice.

My legs refused to move as I stood frozen in the doorway. Erwin glanced over to me and approached. He placed his hand over mine and slowly walked me to his bedside. "W-what are yo-"

"Shh, just listen." He then took my hand and placed it over Levi's chest. I didn't understand what he was doing until I felt the slight kick of his beating heart. I gasped when I felt the soft beat of his lifeline. "He's right here, alive. He's still with us."