Chp 21

(Eren's P.O.V.)

It's been a few days since everything that happened. I've tried to stop blaming myself but a small part of me still feels a bit responsible. Hanji and I have become very worried about Levi and how he was taking everything. I've been trying to text and call him but he hasn't really responded. Hanji went over to talk to him but she came back saying he refused to even come out of his room.

Today Armin and I were gonna hang out and he picked me up in his grandpa's car. I have yet to tell him how I felt about Levi so I've decided to tell him today. We were driving to a nearby lake to go swimming. Plus it was a weekday so barely anyone was there.

We get into the chilly water and swim out to a floating dock. We laugh, splash, and throw each other off it for at least an hour before we head back to shore. Sitting on the towels I finally confess.

"I like Levi."

Armin doesn't react at first but he looks over at me and gives a small smile. "It's pretty obvious."

"Wha-? It is?"

"For me yeah. You blush and start stuttering every time you talk about him. Whenever he would pick you up your body language changed. Plus you have the slightest of smiles whenever you're texting."

My mouth hangs open. Is it really that obvious? "...He was with Erwin so I felt I didn't have the right to have feelings towards him. But after everything with Erwin, I feel like it'll be a slap in the face to him."

"Eren you're gonna have to tell him eventually."

"I know just right now doesn't seem like a good time too."

"I don't think any time would be appropriate. Unless you have a suspicion he feels the same way." He hints.

"No... I don't think so." I mumble.

"I can see this is destroying you, maybe you should tell him. Or at least talk to him. How's he doing lately?"

"Not very good. He's locked himself in his apartment and refuses to talk to Hanji or me."

"He's in pain. He might think he needs to be alone but you get that it's not always the case. Talk to him. And if you work up the courage, tell him how you feel. I doubt he'll hate you."

"Ok. Thanks, Armin. You always have the best advice."

"That's what I'm here for!" He cheers. We get back to the apartment building and he leaves me with one final piece of guidance. "Eren I think no matter what the circumstances, Levi would listen to what you have to say."

I thank him and go inside. Before I go upstairs I head inside the piano room. I lift the cover up and slide my fingers along the smooth keys. I remembered the time Levi had me play my song for him. I search through the papers and find the music sheets for my piece.

I have yet to name it. Everything I thought of didn't seem right. Until. I recollect on the thing Levi said towards the end of the song.

~ ~ "You only really hear these stories in movies with some hero or something.....I guess y-you can call yourself one..." 

"Heh a reluctant one. Damn brat." ~ ~

I pick up a pen and bring it to the top of the paper where a blank space sat. I write only two words, but they perfectly sum up my inspiration that made this song so special.

Reluctant Hero

I go upstairs and inside the apartment. Hanji and I eat a late dinner after I took a quick shower. She invited Levi over but he refused. She's concerned for him. Neither of us knew what he's been eating if he was eating anything in the first place. While washing the dishes I couldn't stop worrying.