Chapter 2: Lights, Camera, Action!

(Present day)

     You're on a walk around the streets of Vale, passing by shop after shop. You've got your hands in the pockets of your sweats and the hood of your sleeveless hoodie pulled up over your head, trying not to draw too much attention to yourself. You notice some commotion going on outside of a dust shop in front of you, but you pay no mind to it and walk on by. Eventually, you feel like you're being followed, only to turn around to the men standing outside the shop trailing close behind you. Soon, a bunch of thugs in suits and red tinted sunglasses have you surrounded. The men had weapons drawn on you, some wielding swords and others bolstering firearms. You took a mental note of the amount of men that had you surrounded, planning out your attack if things went south.
"Soooooo, how can I help you guys?" You ask, giving a cocky smirk to the man directly in front of you.
"Ya see, you look like you might be worth a pretty penny. Our boss wants dust but doesn't mean we can't take a few handouts if you catch my drift." The thug says with the others surrounding him nodding in agreement.
"Well sucks, I don't have any lien. Sorry sir but you'll have to suspiciously surround some other chump."
You begin to walk forward but the men tighten up their formation, clearly not willing to let you to leave.
"Say, aren't you that kid that's gonna be in that kung fu movie? 'Rebirth of the Dragon'?" The thug in front of you says, twirling his pistol on his index finger.
"I bet if we hold him ransom, they'd pay us a fortune!" One of the other thugs says.
"Yeah, I bet the wou-"
Before the head thug could finish his sentence, you jab him in his solar plexus knocking the wind out of him. The thug doubles down in pain, falling to his knees as he can barely catch a breath. The other thugs rush to his aid but he shoves them off before managing to muster up words.
"Get him you idiots!" The lead thug says strained.
You take up your wing chun stance, ready for a fight before you hear the sound of glass shattering behind you. You and the thugs turn to see what happened before you're taken aback by what you see.
"Ruby?"

(Earlier that day)

"And action!"
The directors voice sounds off, the cameras beginning to role. Already in your fighting stance you see men clad in prim pressed suits begin to run at you. You kick the first one with a lead roundhouse to the face, knocking him to the ground. The second one comes at you winding up his right hand which you slip and counter with a left hook to his gut. You finish him off with a cross to the head before another guy grabs the back of your own suit. You quickly toss him over your shoulder and jab him once he's down to make sure he doesn't get up. The fourth and fifth guy come out wielding swords, so you look to the ground to find the oh so conveniently placed staff at your feet. You put your foot underneath and launch it into the air before grabbing it and using the staff to counter the two men's blades. You begin to showboat your skills with a bo staff and smack around the two guys while effortlessly twirling the staff in your hands. After a final blow to guy number five, you hear a man call cut to the scene. You reach your hand down to the guy you just got done smacking around with the bo staff, helping him up as he groans.
"Man don't you think you can pull your hits just a little?" The stuntman asks stretching his back.
"It wouldn't look real if I didn't. Besides, you've got such a hittable face Richie." You say, getting a chuckle out of your fellow actor.
"Just like your old man huh? Just don't send me to an early retirement."
You smile, walking off the set. Ever since Bruce Lee had taken you in, he taught you the ways of Kung Fu. To be specific, wing chun and his own discipline, Jeet Kun Do. The martial arts legend essentially adopted you, giving you a place in his home with his family. All while training you in the ways of martial arts. And after years of being an extra and a stuntman to be beaten up on camera, the great Bruce Lee had decided to help you with your first big role. A passing of the torch movie called 'Rebirth of the Dragon'.
"(Y/N)! Over here!" You heard a voice call out.
You turn to see none other than Bruce Lee, off to the side of the production set, clearly watching you as you work.
"Sifu Lee, I didn't expect you to be on set today." You say with a bow.
"Oh (Y/N), you can drop the formalities. And I would never miss another big day on set! I see you've really gotten good with the bo staff."
"Well I did learn from the best. What brings you around Sifu?"
Bruce Lee chuckles, patting you on the shoulder.
"I'm here to give you a lesson."
     The martial arts legend then motions for you to attack him, standing completely still in no stance. You look at him puzzled but shrug it off, deciding it's some weird lesson of his. You go to throw a jab and a cross his direction to which he effortlessly dodges last minute.
"Come on, hit me." Bruce Lee says, a little more pomp on his voice.
You get into your stance before throwing a roundhouse so fast if you blinked you wouldn't see it. Yet your mentor managed to dodge with little to no effort. You begin to throw kick after kick, mixing it up with punching combinations yet nothing you threw landed. Frustration started to set in as your punches and kicks began to get more wild and reckless. You're scuffle has started to amass a crowd from the people on set and to everyone, you were kicking at air as the great Bruce Lee was already nowhere near where your attacks were going to land.
"Enough, tell me do you understand why you didn't hit me?" Bruce Lee asks you.
"Is this about your water philosophy?" You ask panting, holding your knees in exhaustion.
"Ah if I recall, your least favorite lesson. You're hotheaded and stubborn nature clash with my ideology to be like water. To flow, and yet be rigid. And that is key to how I was able to dodge each one of your attacks. You see I've applied that philosophy, and made it reality. So now my body flows on its own without the need to think. For I am, like water."
You sigh, falling to the ground. Your long time mentor stands over you offering you a hand. As he pulls you up the crowd around you disperses and the two of you embrace.
"Thank you for the lesson Sifu, how should I go about mastering your technique?" You ask.
"For one, quit being so stubborn and brash. You're too hotheaded for your own good. I could tell you were starting to get mad when you couldn't hit me." Bruce Lee says as you cross your arms and pout.
"I was not."
Your mentor chuckles before continuing.
"You're hotheaded nature isn't all you have to conquer. For one to flow one must be at peace. And even these last few years I can tell you still hold on to your past."
You scoffed at the thought of what Sifu Lee was insinuating. The thought of your old family was still a bitter subject even now. It had been 7 years since you had so much as heard from Tai, Yang or Ruby. You had a hunch your old Uncle was lurking around like he always did, keeping a watchful eye but for all you knew you were just overthinking.
     "Let go of your past, and make peace with it. You are not the young boy I found in the woods so long ago. You've grown so much and so well. I couldn't be more proud of the man I see today". Bruce Lee says, patting you on the back.
     "Thank you Sifu, I think I'm gonna get out of my costume and go for a walk, reflect ya know?" You say, giving him a reassuring smile.
     "I will see you later then." Master Lee says, as you both bow before parting ways.