Chapter 21: 1v1

You were walking around Beacon with Team JNPR, Nora was enjoying herself whilst Ren carries all her snacks. Sometimes you pity him, as managing Nora almost seems harder than trying to find time for five different girls. While walking you noticed Jaune and Pyrrha lagging behind the group, with Pyrrha looking distraught with Jaune trying to comfort her. You approach the two, sitting down next to Pyrrha before speaking.
     "Is everything alright?"
     "I- I'm fine. (Y/N), Jaune. Do either of you believe in destiny?" Pyrrha asks, looking at us like her life depend on our answer.
     "I, don't really know. I guess it all just depends." Says Jaune.
     "No." You say firmly, shocking your girlfriend and your best friend.
     "You don't believe in destiny?" Pyrrha asks.
     "Destiny implies that the universe has put limits on what you can accomplish, what you are meant to do. I was always taught that those limits were a mental block, waiting to be broken. And once broken, you could achieve anything. Nothing happens because it is set in stone, we forge our own paths, for there is no weapon more deadly than will."
     "I, see..." Pyrrha says, looking down before continuing.
     "Destiny to me is like a final goal, something you work for your entire life."
     "Ah, you see goals aren't always meant to be reached. They only serve as something to aim at." You say before Pyrrha sharply responds.
     "But what if something happens, something that prevents you from achieving your destiny? Or you could suddenly achieve your destiny in an instant but at the cost of who you were?"
     So this is what's been eating at her. You wonder what could've happened to make her this distraught but it's became clear that it's affecting how she'll continue on in life.
     "Do you recall my masters teachings on water?" You ask.
     "Yes, but what does this have anything to do with it?" Pyrrha asks confused and aggravated.
     "Empty your mind. Breath. Slow breaths in and out. You are formless, shapeless. If you are poured into a cup, you become the cup. If you are poured into a teapot you become the teapot. Pyrrha, you are ridged. Unmoving and firm. Your goal in your head is so firmly planted that you believe that to be predetermined. You must allow yourself to flow, adapt, and change if the situation calls. You are Pyrrha Nikos. Forgot your titles, and remember this, your are your own person. Nothing can ever change who you are. An amazing warrior, a stunning woman, and a great girlfriend." You say.
    "It's just... none of this makes sense." Pyrrha says holding you, burying her head into your chest.
     "I always felt I was destined to become a huntress, and it's become clear to me I was right, but I don't know if I can do it."
     "Well, the Pyrrha I know can. Like (Y/N) just said you could do anything. And if you really believe it's your destiny to save the world, to become a huntress. Then you of all people can do it." Jaune says.
     Pyrrha looks up, embracing her teammate and you at the same time. You're glad she could confide in both you and Jaune, even if you didn't agree with her stance on destiny you knew it was eating her alive. And you couldn't help but ask why.

(Timeskip)

You find yourself roaming the arena, wondering what's bothering Pyrrha so much. She would have no issue becoming a huntress under normal circumstances, so it's not like she's worried about her grades. You think a little harder until you spot Mercury sneaking around the back. Suspicious, you decide to follow him. You kept pace, making sure the grey clad fighter didn't spot you. Mercury however turns a corner, causing you to loose track of him. You begin to head down one of the back hallways before you sense someone behind you. Fearing Mercury got the drop on you, you quickly turn ready to strike only to see Ruby.
"Ruby, what are you doing back here?" You ask.
"I thought I saw Mercury, I thought he had gone back to Mistral but I swear I saw him!" Ruby said eager to continue her chase.
"Well, you thought right little red." Mercury said as you turned around.
You stare at the grey clad 'student' ready to face off. However Ruby charged in with her semblance only to get kicked away. This leaves you the opportunity to leap off the walls and land a Superman punch dead on Mercury's jaw. Down but not out, Mercury launched a barrage of kicks your way. Nothing unblockable however his kicks felt off, as if his feet weren't organic. Mercury then launched a dust round at your head with a side kick, which you dodge barely. You then advance, attempting to kick out Mercury's legs but are met with the sound of ringing metal.
"Prosthetic legs." You snare.
"Oh aren't they beautiful?" Mercury asks before launching more dust shots your way.
You manage to dodge all of them, leading you to launch a spinning back kick to Mercury's torso. You knock back the grey haired threat and before he could recover you lunge forward with a side kick to the chest, forcing any air out of Mercury's body. Gasping for oxygen, you crush one of Mercury's legs with a ax kick before grabbing him by the collar.
"That was for the bullshit you pulled with Yang, now tell me what you're doing back here!" You demand.
"Distraction." Mercury mutters before you throw him to the ground, knocking him out with a roundhouse to the head.
"Ruby, you get Mercury out of here and to any authorities. I have to check the arena." You say running off.
You race towards the arena, assuming Mercury wanted you and Ruby away from the fights you thought something must be going down there. However, once you arrive you're too late. You witness Pyrrha aggressively use her semblance to destroy Penny, revealing herself to be an android. You stood in shock, not only at the fact that Penny was a robot, but at the fear you saw in Pyrrha's eyes at Penny. Something was off, there's no coincidence that the same thing happened to Yang. And if it wasn't Mercury behind it, it must've been Emerald.
You rush towards the stage, grabbing Pyrrha's shock ridden form, trying to shake sense back into the red haired huntress. You scan the arena for Emerald but she must've already made her escape. However you can't dwell on her for too long, as a giant nevermore breaks through the Grimm barrier atop the arena.
"Pyrrha, come on babe snap out of it! You gotta fight!" You say shaking your girlfriend, only to be met with dead eyes. She was so far gone into her shock, she needed a little more time to cope. Right now you focused on the nevermore flying you're way. You took a firm stance, ready to hold your ground with just your fists and feet, until rocket lockers remain down from the sky onto the nevermore. You then see Ren, Nora, Team CFVY, Team ABRN, and Sun with their weapons equipped. Not far behind you see Ruby dashing into the arena, Cresent Rose in hand ready to fight.
"Alright guys, we may only be hunters in training, but today we fight for Beacon. We fight for life and civilization itself. And if that's not enough, we fight for ourselves. So let bring hell to the Grimm and those who threaten Beacon!" You say as the students cheer.
However, their cheers are cut short when the nevermore starts to stand up. Quickly, everyone hops into action. Ren spins and stabs the Grimm right in the eye and Nora launches up and brings her hammer down onto the overgrown bird. Following suit Yatsu and a member from team ABRN use their giant swords to cut off the Grimm's head.
"I.... I'm so sorry." Pyrrha says.
You turn towards her, bringing her in for an embrace.
"Pyrrha, none of this is your fault. I'm sorry you had to go through what just happened. But we have to press forward. Or else more lives are at stake." You say.
"Pyrrha, we're here for you. And to fight along side you." Jaune says, handing the red haired warrior her weapons.
Reluctantly, Pyrrha grabs them. Before you could all act however, some of the Atlesian ships start to go down as if they've been hijacked.
"I'll go check on that." Ruby says, grabbing her rocket locker and flying away towards the falling ship.
"Alright everyone, let's move out!" You say.
However just before anyone moves, a booming voice halts you all.
"Not so fast."
"General Ironwood, what are you doing down here?" You ask.
"I've come for Pyrrha. It's time." He says.
The same distraught look from earlier looms over Pyrrha. This must be what was bringing her down.
"I'm going with." You say.
"I am too." Jaune says.
"I guess it can't be helped, come then." Ironwood says walking away from the arena.
"Alright, everyone else move out, decent the escape shuttles and anyone boarding. If you can, get to Beacon. There will most likely be more escapees there. Defend anyone at all costs." You say before following Pyrrha and Ironwood.