Chapter 7: The Knight Versus the Dragon

(2nd person view)

"Why me?" Jaune asks himself as he is currently fighting you in Professor Goodwitch's class.
You kick at Jaune's chest, making he blonde knight stumble backwards. Jaune regains his balance and runs at you with his shield protecting him and his sword raised. You run and slide at him, hooking his legs and knocking him down. You jump up as Jaune struggles, groaning as he stands. You smile, motioning for him to attack to which he swings at you. You jump up, landing on his sword before spin kicking the leader of Team JNPR in the head.
"This match is over. As you can see, Mr. Arc's aura has dropped in the red. In a tournament style duel this would call for judges to disqualify Mr. Arc." Professor Goodwitch says.
"I gotcha Jaune." You say giving him your hand.
     "Thanks (Y/N), that was a sweet kick. Definitely gonna leave a mark." He says taking your hand as you pull him up.
     "Mr. Arc it's been weeks now, please refer to your scroll during combat to gauge your aura. By doing so you'll know when to go on the offense or switch to more, defensive measures. You wouldn't want to be gobbled up by a Beowolf would you?" Professor Goodwitch says.
     "Professor, wouldn't checking your scroll in a combat situation be detrimental since it leaves you open to attack?" You ask.
     The class starts to murmur to themselves and she simply gives you a death stare.
     "I can see the worry of checking your scroll in combat, but rest assured knowing your aura level is paramount to your safety." She says as you just nod.
     "Remember students, the Vytal Festival is coming up soon. With the festival comes the tournament, which you will all need to train for in and outside of class." Goodwitch says before dismissing us.

(Timeskip because that's what happens in the show)

     You had just gotten your lunch and went to sit down until you noticed Nora waving you down. You looked at who was sitting there and noticed the entirety of Team RWBY was sitting there. You turned and walked away, settling at an empty table. You set your food down and start to dig in until you hear someone drop their tray next to you. You jump, turning to see Weiss sitting down.
     "Why though?" You ask.
     "Well, I don't think you should eat alone." Weiss says turning a bit red.
     "No, why'd you drop your tray instead of just setting it down?" You ask.
     Weiss pauses processing the decision she made and why. You laugh and continue to eat your food as she becomes more flustered.
"Ugh, laugh all you want! I don't care." She says crossing her arms.
"Seems I touched a nerve?" You ask.
"No, your just bugging me."
"Then why'd you sit here?"
"You idiot, I told you it's because you seemed lonely. Do you not enjoy my company?"
"Well I do, but if I'm bugging you I'm not so sure you enjoy mine." You say, leaving Weiss defeated.
You smile at the heiresses face as you go back to eating. Time passes between the two of you, talking here and there until you hear someone cry out in pain. You turn your head to see what was going on only to see Cardin and his team pulling on a rabbit faunas' ears.
"I'll be right back." You yell Weiss as she looks your way.
You walk up to Cardin, a fire burning in your eyes as you stare at the bully. The leader of Team CRDL looks your way while he's pulling the faunas ears.
"What do you want?" Cardin asks still holding the girls ears.
"I'll say this once, let her go." You say.
Cardin looks to his team before bursting into a fit of laughter. The team regains their composure and Cardin lets go of the girls ears to face you.
"What are you gonna do about it?" Cardin asks.
"Nothing now, you let her go." You say turning around to leave.
Shocked and confused, Cardin looked back at Velvet to see her rubbing her ears and his team looking him. The team leader growled as he grabbed your shoulder, only for you to grab and throw him over your shoulder. Cardin tries to speak but the wind being knocked out of him is apparent by his lack of voice. The rest of Team CRDL simply runs to Cardin before hauling him off somewhere else. After the whole debacle you walk towards the rabbit faunas and sit down next to her.
"Are you alright?" You ask.
She looks at you, pain still shown by her facial expression.
"I'll be fine, it's nothing really." The girl says blushing a bit.
You feel her ears, seeing her wince in pain for a second before you start to rub them.
"I can tell they are sensitive, I can also tell you are a strong and skilled fighter. So why not stick up for yourself?" You ask.
"I didn't have a chance, they came up from behind and just started yanking."
"Tell me, what's your name?"
"Velvet, Velvet Scarlatina."
"Well Velvet, I'm (Y/N). And if they start picking on you again just tell me. But eventually you'll have to stand up for yourself. What you allow is what will continue." You say before walking off.
You walk back to your table, noticing Weiss' face of amusement and confusion.
"What? Do I have something on my face?" You ask.
"No, I'm just wondering why you did that? She's a faunas and people may think less of you now." Weiss says.
"So be it. Caring about what others think of you only drags you down. It's like carrying rocks on a sleigh that you pull on the winding road of life. You don't care, the walk is easier. And so what if she is a faunas, freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
You sit down and eat, letting Weiss take that all in.

(Timeskip)

You roam the halls after Professor Ooblek's class with Weiss. While Weiss talks about who knows what you watch Pyrrha who seems distraught over what happened to Jaune in the class. You focus back on Weiss who is trying to get your attention.
"Hello? (Y/N)? Are you even listening to me?" Weiss asks.
"Hold on, I'll be right back." You say walking towards Pyrrha.
You approach the red haired spartan, catching her attention as you walk closer.
"Oh, your (Y/N) right? I don't think we've ever truly introduced ourselves. I'm Pyrrha Nikos as you probably know." She says rubbing her arm looking away.
"(Y/N) (L/N), and I believe this is the first time I've heard your name. I was just wondering why you seem to be out of it." You ask.
     Pyrrha seemed to be taken aback by your statement. Probably due to the fact that according to Weiss she's some sort of celebrity. But you've had run ins with that sort of thing.

(Flashback)

"Master Lee, why must I take this picture of you?" You ask while your master is currently in a 'badass martial arts pose' as he called it.
     "Because, I must keep the fans happy somehow." He explains as you take the photo.
     "I thought you came out here to center yourself."
     "Shhhhh. Do not question your master."

(Flashback End)

     "Um excuse me?" Pyrrha asked snapping you back into reality.
     "Oh yes! Sorry I zoned out for a minute." You say.
     She giggled at your statement making you smile as well.
    "So why do you seem upset?" You ask
    "It's Jaune, he's been acting down lately and I don't know how to help him." She says.
     You ponder Jaune's recent activities and notice she's right. Even in class he didn't seem like himself after Cardin threw the paper football at him.
     "I'd recommend talking to him about it, you are a team, without communication your team will surely fail." You say.
The red haired spartan nodded happily before walking away. You walk back over to Weiss who was looking at you with a face that hinted at what you assumed was jealously.
"What's with the face?" You ask.
"What face? I'm not making a face." Weiss says turning away and crossing her arms.
     "Sure you aren't."