Chapter 8: Forever Falling

You and the rest of the first years make your way through the forest of Forever Fall, taking in the sights of the luscious red trees. With areas like this and the Emerald Forest makes you wonder why Master Lee didn't balance himself out here. Though if he did choose anywhere other than patch you wouldn't be as fortunate as you are now.
     "Yes students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But, we are not here to sight see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest." Professor Goodwitch says.
     You look over to the majority of Team JNPR, noticing they are still without a leader. You walk over to the group of three, joining them.
     "(Y/N)? What are you doing here?" Nora asks a little excited.
     "Well, I've been told threes a crowd but fours a party. Plus I'm pretty sure Pyrrha doesn't wanna be playing third wheel to you and Ren." You respond.
The two look away from each other, Ren scratching his arm and Nora turning red. You smirk and turn to Pyrrha who still seems a little distraught.
     "Hey what's wrong? Things with Jaune didn't work out?" You ask.
     "No, they didn't. I offers him training and help but he turned it down. He wanted to be solo on his journey to being a hero I guess." Pyrrha said looking down.
     "Well, nobody can do anything alone. I wouldn't be the martial artist I am without Master Lee and you most certainly wouldn't be who you are now without your mentors. Jaune is merely caught in a fairy tale. Something I know someone else is as well," You say looking to your younger sister.
     "I guess what I'm trying to say is don't loose hope, I feel soon Jaune will be faced with the gravity of real life." You tell her.
     For the rest of the trip you collect sap with Team JNPR. Most of what you collect though somehow 'mysteriously' disappears leaving you with only the bare amount of samples. Once your done you head back out on your own to sight see. You wanted to take in the beauty around you until your moment of peace was disturbed. You hear a twig snap behind you, causing you to pull out your tonfas in gun mode and point at what was behind you. Much to your disliking it was Yang.
     "Would've preferred a Beowolf over you." You say turning back around.
     "What's your deal? Seriously? No bullshit no acts of drama. Why do you hate me and Ruby?" Yang asks.
     "I've told you before, you both made my life a living hell along with that shit stain of a man you call a father. I try to be collected but with you I cannot."
"You keep saying we abused you! I don't remember dad ever laying a hand on you!"
     You turn to face your sister, anger and hate eminent from your eyes. You approach her slowly, causing her to back up in fear. You corner her into a tree, bringing your fist back ready to punch. Yang closes her eyes, waiting for the punch only for it to never hit her. When she opens her eyes she sees you had punched a hole straight through the tree.
     "You say you don't remember. But let me ask you this, do you not remember anything? Or do you want to forget everything?" You ask before walking back to the group.
     As you head back, you notice Team CRDL with Jaune on a ledge looking down on Team JNPR and Team RWBY. The group of five has multiple jars of sap as well as a box, and judging by the buzzing it doesn't sound like it's holding something good. You slowly approach the group of bullies plus Jaune and eavesdrop on their conversation.
     "Alright boys, last night ol' Jaune here managed to round up an entire box of rapier wasps. And now, we're gonna put them to work." Cardin says.
     You step out from your hiding spot and confront the group.
     "Like hell you will." You say.
     The group of five looks over to you, Jaune's face reading relief and the rest a mix of fear and confusion. Cardin though quickly covers it up with his tough guy facade.
     "And what are you doing here? Don't you have boards to be breaking?" Cardin asks.
     "No, however there's a group of punks in need of an ass whooping."
     "Phfft, you may have gotten me by surprise but this time won't be the same. Get him boys." Cardin says as his team rushes you.
    You sigh as you get into a stance, kicking Dove in the head knocking him out. The other two look at their fallen teammate, only to try and double team you. Sky tries to punch you in the face while Russel attempts elbowing your gut. You easily evade the two before taking out Russel's legs and ax kicking his chest. Sky you simply punch in the gut, making him hunch over and fall to his knees.
     Cardin looks with dissatisfaction and turns to Jaune, who is currently trying to sneak away.
     "Tell you what Jaune, if you go over there and kick (Y/N)'s ass, I'll forget I ever heard you faked your way into Beacon." Cardin tells the leader of Team JNPR.
     Jaune looks confused and conflicted. If he attacked you, Cardin would forget about what he heard on the roof. If he didn't, he'd be subjected to bullying but still possibly be friends with you. Reluctantly, Jaune unsheathed his sword and brought out his shield.
     "Good, now get him." Cardin commanded.
     The blonde knight charged in, swinging at you. You were almost caught off guard but you managed to catch the blade in your hands over your head.
     "So you just obey Cardin now? I thought you were better than this my friend." You say throwing his sword to the side before flipping backwards and pulling out your tonfas.
     "I'm sorry (Y/N), it's nothing personal. But it's for my team." Jaune said charging at you again.
     The two of you duel it out, the clashing of steel attracting some attention from other teams. Eventually you draw in the audience of Pyrrha, Weiss, and Ruby.
     "What are they doing?" Weiss asks.
     "It looks as if they're fighting, but why?" Pyrrha asks as well.
     You can tell Jaune is getting tired. His swings are becoming more sluggish and his breathing is out of pattern.
     "Come on Jaune, don't forget what's riding on this!" Cardin shouts out.
     Jaune looks towards the bully who's smirking with joy. The leader of Team JNPR turns to be met with a punch to the face. Jaune shouts out in pain as he stumbles back.
     "Is fighting me really worth it?" You ask Jaune getting ready to finish your fight.
     "For my Team, anything is worth it." Jaune says running at you with everything he has.
     With determination and a hint of fear, Jaune swings at you one last time, slashing at you and knocking you down. You pretend to be majorly hurt and stay down, which leaves the crowd confused.
     "Good job Jaune, but I can't let you off the hook just yet. We've gotta finish what we started." Cardin says.
     "No Cardin, I just fought the best fighter here and my friend in order to go back to my team! I will not let you hurt them!" Jaune yelled picking up the jar of sap and throwing it at Cardin.
     The sap sticks to the bully's chest gear, leaving the leader of Team CRDL very pissed off. But, before Cardin could do anything an Ursa appears from the forest, letting out a roar before running towards Cardin. The leader of Team CRDL tries to run away in fear but the Ursa uses its paw to bring down Cardin and hold him down. Cardin's eyes widen to unmeasurable sizes as the Ursa brings his jaws down onto the bully. Seeing this you jump right up and jump onto the Ursa, grabbing it's neck and flipping it over you. The Grimm lands hard and before it can get it you repeatedly shoot it in the head.
     After the fiasco with the Grimm, everyone pretends nothing happened. Cardin started to leave Jaune alone and the blonde knight started to reacquaintance himself with his team. One night you stand on the roof of the dorm building of Beacon, meditating as the wind howls. Your time alone is interrupted however. This time though, by Pyrrha.
     "I was hoping you'd be up here, I checked your dorm but I didn't get a response." The redhead said walking towards you.
     "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?" You ask.
     "Oh stop it, and I wanted to ask you something."
     "You do?"
     "Yes, back in Forever Fall you fought with Jaune. Before that you easily beat him in Professor Goodwitch's class. But in the forest he beat you, how is that?" She asks.
     "You see, I lost control that day. Yang confronted me and I let anger take the wheel, for I feel I'm forever falling deeper into an inescapable hole. I did not wish Jaune to follow that same path. And if that meant he had to beat me in combat in order to regain the ability to speak with you, then I was happy to loose." You explain.
     Pyrrha stood shocked, amazed by the humility you showed.
     "So you'd let your reputation go in order to help out a friend?" She asked.
     "Of course, you would too, right?" You ask.
     Pyrrha however remains silent. You can sense she would never have said option if faced and society would choose for her.
     "It's alright, I understand if you do not wish to answer. How about we head inside? The cold is getting to me." You say.
     The redhead smiles a bit before nodding. Soon the two of you head inside and while you two walk side by side, a tint of red appears on Pyrrha's cheeks.