|5|

_________

PHONE CALL NUMBER TWO

If anyone knew Penelope enough, they would know that she loved gummy bears especially the red ones. So as she searched through her kitchen drawers for the last pack she knew she had, her phone rung. It took her off guard and she could only wonder who was calling her. Glancing at the microwave she realized it was midnight already.

Her movie night with Grace had ended early after Penelope noticed Grace had fallen asleep on her bed. Picking up her phone that was just a few feet away from her, her heart ached as she saw Diego's name appear. He was calling her, again. It had been a week since she had last spoken with him. After he had answered her question he had hung up on her. Leaving Penelope hurt and confused.

The screen to her phone was still showing Diego's name and Penelope debated on whether she wanted to talk to him. Part of her wanted to know what he wanted because she missed his voice but the other side of her wanted to ignore him. She needed to move on and he did too. The better half of her won as she answered the second time he called. Penelope stayed silent for a minute. She could hear music in the background again and Penelope was disappointed, he was drunk dialing her again.

"I did it again Lupe, I'm so sorry." Diego said on the other end of the line. Penelope felt her heart clenched because no matter how many times he apologized, it still hurt. She knew she had no right to be upset, they weren't together. So why was he doing this to her? Calling her every time he so much as touched another girl. Was it to hurt her? Did he get a joy of knowing he was hurting her?

"You don't need to apologize Diego. We aren't together." Penelope said for what felt like the millionth time. Why did she answer? Why didn't she just ignore the call?

"It wasn't right. Touching her. Kissing her. She wasn't you." Diego responded and Penelope felt a knot in her throat. Why was she listening to him? Why was she putting herself through this?

"Diego. Stop." Penelope pleaded. She didn't want to hear the details, the image of Diego's lips on another girl hurt Penelope more than anything else. The thought of someone else in his arms made her sick. "You can't keep doing this to me. You can't keep calling me every time..you.." Penelope tried to push away the tears that were starting to form. She wasn't going to cry. Not this time. "You..you touch someone who isn't me. It kills me Diego." Penelope could hear Diego take a deep breath and the sound of music had become nonexistent. It was silent for a moment and Penelope believed that Diego had hung up on her. She was proven wrong when he spoke up.

"It kills you? Really Penelope? It's killing me. You broke up with me!" Diego yelled and Penelope jumped a bit in surprise. He sounded hurt and Penelope couldn't believe that he had raised his voice at her. Anger flowed through her, it wasn't her fault. She did the right thing. Penelope shook her head and laughed at what Diego had said. "Because you were still in love with your ex Diego! I broke up with you because you still loved your ex! You hurt me and embarrassed me." Penelope yelled right back. She was fighting fire with fire and any second, things were going to blow up in both their faces.

"I hurt you? I embarrassed you?" Diego asked sarcastically and Penelope's heart clenched at the sound of his voice, he sounded so done. His voice was harsh and Penelope knew she needed to hang up soon. This was too much.

He's drunk. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

A drunk mind speaks sober thoughts.

"You want to talk about hurting? I thought we had something after that night and then I go on instagram and you run off with some rapper. Now THAT hurt Penelope!" Diego was pissed and Penelope was done. He couldn't be mad at that, it wasn't like anything had happened between her and Russ. It was simply two friends hanging out.

"I'm single Diego! I can do whatever the hell I want and so can you!" Penelope was furious. She shouldn't have answered the phone. She was so stupid. So stupid. Silence overcame them both as they both didn't say a thing. Diego let Penelope's words sink in.

"You're right Penelope, I can do whatever the hell I want and I will." Diego responded a few seconds later and before Penelope could answer back, he had hung up on her.

Penelope let out a frustrated yell as she threw her phone at the wall. Taking deep breaths Penelope tried to calm herself down but as she looked at the orange hoodie she was wearing.

She knew she wasn't okay.

The smell of him lingered on the hoodie and Penelope couldn't understand why she still missed him and she hated it. Clearing her throat, she wiped away the tears and no matter how much she wiped, they were still there and she couldn't help the sobs that escaped her mouth.

____________

5/11/18

I hope you all enjoy this chapter.
Happy Friday!