Chapter 7: Sun King

Maya's POV

We headed home, all cheerful. I had a lot of my mind. I had been close to kissing Paul about two times now, and I hadn't. I liked George, and John, and Ringo. Make your mind already, love. Said my unconscious in a Paul-like tone.I giggled, maybe I was going crazy,again.

Paul went to shower, John waited , Ringo took a nap, and George smoked. I sat down in front of my piano, and played what I always did, Debussy, Satie, Beethoven, Chopin, and the Edith Piaf, which would make me start crying, but I still sang along to La Vie en Rose, trying to keep my voice from quivering. The house was silent. I stopped playing, brushing away the tears and getting up. George was leaning against the balcony door, looking at me and bowing, I blushed. Paul clapped, shaking his wet hair while John yelled from the bathroom.

'' A PRIZE FOR MADEMOISELLE MAYA CARTER. ''

I blushed, I felt giddy and sat down on the couch, propping my feet up. Paul had put on one of his black shirts, George was waiting for John to come out of the bathroom and he kept pounding angrily on the door.

'' MOVE IT LENNON.''

I closed my eyes and sighed, I felt happy and relaxed. I sung under my breath and when I opened my eyes again, Paul was near me, with a grin on his face. He kissed my cheek, but I moved too quick; our lips met and I felt as if I had melted inside. He deepened the kiss, wrapping his arms around my waist, and I was still too shocked to react, yet. I hooked my arms around his neck and gave in. I heard a crash and a very screeched BLOODY HELL. I pulled away, blushing and giggling, Paul snickered and let me go. I ran to the sound of the voice and found George in the tub, laughing, blood gushing out of his forehead. John was beside him, on the bathroom floor, laughing his head off. 

'' Are you two high or what?'' I said.

'' Georgie slipped and now he's got a booboo and he's bleeding'' said John, between laughters.

I frowned, sniffing the air, it didn't smell like weed, did it? '' What have you been drinking?'' I asked angrily. John pointed to a plastic bottle that was on the sink. I laughed, they had drunk LSD. What the hell. I thought as I drunk some of it, feeling suddenly very light and hyper. I laughed beside John, finding everything histerically funny, when Paul came in.

'' Guys?'' he asked

'' Hello. Nice to meet you, I'm Maya Carter'' I said , offering him my hand for him to shake. He didn't take it, so I rolled over beside John, whom took my hand and twirled me around, while George got up and tapped me lightly on the shoulder:

'' May I have this dance, ma'am?'' I nodded, bowing a little bit and taking his hand, waltzing to a song that I sung softly under my breath. We laughed and danced until it became dark, taking turns with John, while Paul sat against the door frame, watching us with worried eyes. I don't remember falling asleep, but I assume I did, as I dreamt of songs with no meaning, random phrases :

'' Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with a foolish grin is sitting perfectly still... She's leaving home...How many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall''. I awoke at dawn. My brain felt fuzzy, I felt easily distracted and I went to sit on the balcony again, lighting a cigarette. I smoked for a while, gazing at the streets that were slowly beginning to gain life and I felt someone sit beside me, George. He smiled and took the cigarette from my hands, letting his fingers brush along my arm. 

                   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George's POV

I sat beside her again, in the balcony, always gazing at the street, always smoking at the break of dawn. 

'' What happened yesterday?'' I asked

'' I don't remember, my memory's all fuzzy, I remember you fell in the bathtub.''

I laughed. '' I mean yesterday night, when you were crying.''

Her face closed, the light in her eyes dimmed. 

'' You can tell me, darling.''

''I'm sick of New York.'' I waited till she said more '' I'm sick of working at the stupid café, and the stupid people coming everyday, and the stupid Americans, and everyone.'' She sighed in frustration.

'' I don't know what to do with my life. I want to write, but I can't live out of writing. And, I'm certainly not going to stay here.'' she said bitterly, taking the cigarette from my hand.

'' Why don't you go to England, love? Or France, or Germany? Europe.'' I said, not sounding very smart.

''Maybe I could go to England...'' she said, thinking. 

''You could visit me'' I thought to myself and then blushed when I realized that I had said it aloud. She smiled kindly and put her head on my shoulder. I sang whatever came to my mind, that strange song I had dreamt of:

Please remember how I feel about you, I could never really live without you, so come on back to me, I'm lonely as could be, I need you. She fell asleep, leaning on my arm. I kissed her forehead and then her lips, softly, so she wouldn't notice and I got up, my lips tingling slightly like they did whenever she kissed me. I pulled a blanket over her and went inside, flopping down on the couch and falling asleep again.

                 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul's POV

Maya, George and John didn't stop laughing until it was dark. George's forehead had stopped bleeding and the blood coagulated and plastered his hair on one side of his head. I sighed, why wasn't I enjoying the buzz? Because I was taking care of my friends, and Maya, I was taking care of Maya. When they were all calmed down and lying down on the bathroom, blabbering incoherences, I carried Maya in my arms and plopped her on the couch, leaning her head on a pillow that was placed on my legs. I fell asleep, caressing her hair and murmuring her name in a soothing lullaby. When I woke up again, she wasn't there anymore, she was in the balcony, smoking, talking to George, so I left her there, not without feeling a pang of jealousy and I curled into her bed, taking in her sweet scent of apples and fell asleep, dreaming of nothing but her voice, clear and high, singing La Vie en Rose.