Chapter 24: Do you want to know a secret?

George's POV

Maya ignored Paul during the rest of the meal and the whole day. We just stayed home, reading, playing piano or the guitar, eating, sleeping or smoking. Maya was a ghost. She'd move every two hours or so, not making any noise and she'd do something else. She had a pale look on her face and I swear I saw her sniff a little. When John, Ringo or I tried to ask if she was alright she'd just whisper '' I'm fine.'' and move on. When Paul asked her, she'd just scowl. She didn't eat lunch, or dinner, even when we tried to call her. I was beginning to worry, she hadn't eaten for about twelve hours and she had gone to bed early. I was afraid she'd do what she liked to do best, drink herself or drug herself into oblivion, but Ringo, earlier in the day had confiscated every bottle he'd found and any pills or any suspicious looking food. I went to bed early too, I wanted to watch over Maya, so I sat on the chair by the bed again and fell asleep.

Paul's POV

I fucked up. Severely. Aren't you supposed to comfort me? You're asking me to be honest or hypocritical? Do your job. I'm your conscience, i'm here to help you think about what you've done. Can you shut up? Hardly. Can you not make me feel any worse? I'll try my best. I should apologize. Yes. How. Talk to the boy? What about Maya? The boy will tell Maya? I don't know.

'''Ringo. Where did you say you hid the bottles?'' I said as he looked up from his magazine.

''They're under the couch, why?'' he said

''I need a drink.'' 

'' Is something bothering you? You're not usually a drinker.''

''No, everything's alright.'' I said, pulling up a smile. Everything's horrible but let's just leave it at that.

I searched under the couch and pulled out a random bottle of Jack Daniels whisky, I smiled. I uncorked it and took a swig, wincing a little as it burnt my throat and my mouth. I took another swig, choking a little and coughing but kept on drinking. I kept on going until I drank half the bottle and the world was spinning lightly

'' I believe that's enough, Paul.'' said John, placing his hand on my shoulder and pulling the bottle from my hand.

'' Buuuuuut whyyyyyyyyyyy.'' I whined, trying to take it back from him and failing. 

'' Because, you're drunk already.'' he said, smiling a little.

''Do I amuse youuuuuuu?'' I slurred sarcastically

''Oh, shut up Paul and go to sleep.''

''No.'' I said, crossing my arms

''Yes.'' he said

''I'm going for a walk.'' I said, standing up and leaning on the wall for balance.

''No, you're not going anywhere.'' said John

'' Sod off, John, I want to take a bloody walk.'' I snapped at him.

'' Fine, but at least wear the wig.'' he snapped back, throwing me a blond wig that blurred before my eyes. I pulled it on as best as I could and headed for the door. The cool air hit me in the face and I shivered. Soon enough, my nose and ears began to feel numb but I felt warm because of the whisky. I didn't really know where I was walking to, I just saw people passing me by and I was trying to get somewhere but I didn't remember where. I was leaning against a glass door and I stepped into a shop that smelt of incense and grass. A familiar voice called from somewhere

'' Paul?'' and I blacked out.

John's POV

I was angry at Paul. He'd left, drunk as he was, to take a ''walk''. After he'd chugged down half a bottle of Jack Daniels. I should have followed him. He's probably vomiting his guts up in a dark alley somewhere. I shook my head. Paul wasn't normally a drinker, something had bothered him. I sat on the couch, falling into a light sleep as I waited for Paul to come home.

 Ringo's POV

Things were spinning into the wrong direction. Maya was mad at Paul. Maya was depressed. John was angry at Paul. George was alright. Paul was walking drunkenly in New York and I hadn't moved even a finger to help him. I think that soon, it would be time to go home.