Chapter 9 | "Like I'm Gonna Lose You"

"So," I started out, taking a sip of my sprite, "How did you meet my dumbass of a brother?"

"He was the first one I was introduced to." He chuckled, propping his hands behind his head. "They locked us inside a studio together and told us to write a song."

I nearly choked on my drink, attempting to keep the sparkly drink down instead of on Adrian.

"You two in the same room?!?" I laughed.

He looked at me and held a glance before grinning a bit too.

"Yea, that was some crazy shit."

"You bet, my brother can't keep still for a solid minute."

"You're right, but that song turned out to be out first single."

I nodded, clearly impressed.

If I was honest, I rarely listened to my brother's music unless it was on the radio. It was awkward, listening to someone I spent years trying to get their head out of their ass all of a sudden on the radio.

It was like Justin grew up waayy to fast.

"Never heard it." I shrugged, speaking the truth.

Yes, I had heard their most recent especially the newer ones when Justin would call to bounce ideas off of me but never once had I head their first single.

Ironically weird, I know.

"If you want, I'll play it." He states, waiting for an answer as he gazed up at the stars.

"Yea, sure."

As if on cue, Adrian stands up and pops the trunk of his sleek car that managed to hold little room.

A guitar case surface and he undid the buckles, pulling out an old worn guitar.

"This was my first, got it for my 9th birthday." Adrian informed me, patting it twice and fiddling as he strummed a little and tuned by ear, "It's old but the sound never gets old."

Slowly, he began repositioning the guitar before he started playing and singing all at once.

His voice was rough, but also soft at the same time.

Adrian looked into the distance as he sang on command, hitting the notes flawlessly.

At the final stretch, he turned and looked at me, finishing the song.

Fuck, if there was a way to make a girl all girly.

I don't know, maybe serenade the shit outta her?

🎵"I can't give up this love so easily

Because this right here, is one of a kind." 🎵

•••

"Whooooo!" I cheered, clapping in solitude as he finished.

And for once, he surprised me.

He laughed.

Not one of those awkward 'fill in the silence' kinda laughs.

The contagious ones that had me laughing with him.

"Here, mind if I?" I asked, gesturing the guitar.

He shook his head and handed it to me.

Immediately, I smiled at the welcoming instrument in my arms.

"Here, it's one of my favorite songs right now." I told him, beginning to strum the introduction, "You might want to close your ears if you don't wanna loose your hearing." I smirked.