Chapter 28 | Confrontation

I paced around the room.

What was I supposed to do?

What was I supposed to say?

I was scheduled to leave early in the morning tomorrow and Adrian and I still haven't done as much as glance at each other.

After spending the whole day saying goodbye to Cora and promising to keep in contact with her and to meetup in Florida with her soon.

I felt sick to my stomach knowing that I was leaving everything behind with all that went on this summer.

Despite my brain telling me 'no', I still felt the urge to go talk to Adrian.

That way, if we ended—it wouldn't be because of me.

It wouldn't be because I gave up on our relationship or him.

Recently, I had been searching for a temporary cure for his chronic pain.

In my mind, it was better than weed or cigarettes.

I knew it wasn't my place to say anything especially if I had never been through it myself but I couldn't watch him down a drink and smoke as if it was as normal as breathing air.

Was I selfish for that?

That was how I found myself pacing in front of the door with my hand hovering over the one way in.

I shook my head and made my way in.

My heart sunk at the sight of a sprawled bra that god knows didn't belong to me lying over his headboard.

It hurt to know he moved on so fast.

Was I really nothing to him?

I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

Hell, I didn't even know what I was thinking walking into this.

Why did I somehow in my sick mind, hope that he was crying and hurt just as much as me so that I knew that I didn't waste my time on a guy who just wanted someone to warm his bed?

But, that wasn't the case at all.

Like some sort of deja vu, I caught the window slightly open.

I took a deep breath and propped it out further and crawled out into the walkway of the passage before taking the view from the roof.

"What do you want?" His voice croaked out, harsh and broken.

He didn't turn around but fatigue ran through his voice.

His attitude was cold and he didn't bother to turn his face to me.

I sighed as he let out a puff of smoke and coughed before turning to me, "I said, what do you want?" Adrian asks slightly annoyed.

I chuckle and try to lighten the mood, "All that marijuana is getting to your head."

He stopped and looked at me before narrowing his eyes, "What are you trying to say?"

"I just think that you should just stop popping pills and smoking and all this bullshit that's slowly killing you." I raise my voice, "—because even if we never talk or see each other after this, I don't want to leave knowing I left you to kill yourself with these drugs and alcohol."

"Don't you see? You're so fucking dumb Mackenzie!" He shouts, taking another hit to spite me, "It's the only thing keeping me alive."

I wince at his words.

That stung.

I wasn't going to pretend as if it didn't.

"All I'm saying is that if you tried just a little harder you could fix it!" I yell, beginning to get frustrated.

"Fix what? This shithole or me not living up to what you thought of me Mackenzie?" Adrian laughs stalely, "I'm not you're fucking prince charming so don't make me out to be one."

"I just don't see why you can't go to therapy, try laser, try anything even. Just not all of this." I tell him and for once, I see my selfishness.

"Oh yea?"

"Yea!"

"Yea?"

"YEA!" I scream.

"Of course, because everything is always about you Mackenzie." He rolls his eyes, "You're nothing but a controlling, manipulative bitch and I'm done with your bullshit."

His face showed no regret and for once, I didn't know who I was staring at.

Adrian was mad and there was no hiding it.

I felt so lost and it hurt.

How did we get here?

How did we become this?

"D—do you mean that?" I stuttered, my emotions question taken so off -guard.

For once, I was vulnerable and he stood there with my heart in his hand before letting the silence speak for itself.

I turn to walk away and for once he doesn't stop me.

"Finally." He groans before I can hear him open another beer.

At least I could say I wasn't the one that gave up.

That I wasn't the one who decided that we weren't worth it.

But as I laid on my bed and bawled as I let my tears fall to the point where my chest hurt and my head pounded, I couldn't help but be devastated.

Maybe it was all my fault.

Maybe I could've prevented it.

Maybe I could've been different.

I should've changed myself because maybe then, we wouldn't be as broken as we were.

•••

Here is a new chapter!! 

There is only two more and I hope you guys are excited for the sequel!

It's super exciting and I've had this whole plot thought out for a while now!

How did you guys like the chapter? What did y'all think about it?

Anyways, please vote, comment, follow, and share!!

Love you guys the most!!!

-Anne

•••

Updated: 1•25•19

Updated: 1•25•19