Chapter 14 | Walking On Eggshells

Over the course of the following week, I feel as if I'm walking on eggshells around these two.

Despite us solidifying our relationship, Adrian kept to himself and rarely made eye contact with me, let alone talk.

It hurt to see how quickly everything came falling down; how quickly he gave up on us.

I convinced myself it was for the best, we had only known each other for a little while and our relationship was kept mostly physical in its duration.

It wasn't like we had thrown away a year worth of love; no, it was more like a couple of weeks of interest.

Still, the silence and tension still bothered me.

•••

"You know, you've been in kind of a funk." Cora pointed out as she switched her volleyball shoes for her slides.

"Yea, I guess."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"It's fine." I reassured her, "My brother is already here, I'm gonna head out."

She nodded and waved goodbye before digging back into her gym bag.

"Hey Mack." Justin greeted.

He had a blue cap on and a pair of sunglasses. His hands rested in his pockets as he leaned against a yellow Ferrari.

I nodded, "I've never seen this one before. How many do you even have? I chuckled, gesturing to the car.

"A few here and there, management says it makes us look good if we were to get spot." Justin shrugged, heading over to his side and entering the car.

"Well, y'all are doing a very good job keeping it subtle by driving around cars that can pay months of rent for others."

He smiled before slipping the key into the ignition and driving off.

The silence wasn't welcomed but it felt needed; none of us wanted to talk since the incident.

"Look Mack, there was never was never a time I'd expected a guy to come between us." Justin sighed, wading into a dangerous grey area about the topic of discussion.

I kept my mouth shut and opted to hum out a sound letting him know I was listening.

"Come on, talk to me."

"Well, I wonder if you can figure out who isn't talking to me." I huffed out, "You just had to fuck things up for me when moving out here was already bad enough."

He quickly masked his look of hurt before his jaw tensed.

"There's a lot of shit going on with him, I don't want you involved and getting hurt." Justin warily mentioned.

I glared and rolled my eyes, tired of him constantly making decisions for me.

"Yea, but I don't get a say in that now anymore do I?" I asked mockingly.

I groaned in frustration, it wasn't like I had wanted to drag my ass to California.

But, I did.

"Mackenzie." Justin breathed out slowly, as if I was testing him.

"I don't own you, if you want to go for him, then go. It's not going to be pretty, but whatever you do, don't hurt him. I know it's going to be one or the other, either you or him. I'm his best friend too." He sighed, pulling into the driveway.

"Yeah, okay."

I opened the door to reveal the illuminated back path and made my way up to the doors, leaving it open a crack for Justin after I had unlocked it.

It was another late practice for me.

10:42 PM

Oh well, there was only one way to get better anyways.

In all honesty, I was thankful for volleyball. It took up as a great past time and priority to keep me from thinking about everything.

I quickly removed my practice jersey and spandex and hopped into a shower, welcoming the hot water against my skin.

If I was honest, I couldn't wrapped my hand around the situation.

I decided that it was best to talk this out sooner or later and dried myself off before slipping into another pair of spandex and a oversized t-shirt of Adrian's.

Quietly, I made my way over across the hall to Adrian's room.

I knocked twice before walking in, knowing he wouldn't mind.

"Adrian?"

My voice sounded so foreign to me and I sounded lost as I looked around.

The room was messy but untouched in a way. He wasn't in his room but I found a window propped open slightly.

"Idiot, he always forgets to close the damn win—"

My eyes catch a small route next to the window, that if you weren't looking out far enough was invisible to the eye.

"What the fuck is this?" I questioned, climbing carefully out of the window and into the passage locked between the flat modern roof.

It was and empty clearing with what seemed to be a storage box, showing nothing more than the starry night sky.

"Hey Kenzie." A voice croaked out, familiarizing me with a nickname that no one except a certain someone used.

Adrian.

I whipped my head around but saw nothing, slowly I crept around the corner of the storage box and found the person I was looking for sitting on the edge.

But before I saw him, I smelled him first.

"You're high." I stated bluntly, climbing a ladder to sit myself a good three feet away from him.

"That I am." He chuckles taking another hit as if it was nothing.

"Why?" I asked, trying my best not to overreact.

It was a common thing in California after all.

"Because," He shrugged.

"Everything hurts less if you can't feel it."

•••

Okay :) That long awaited chapter is up.

What's up with Adrian?

Sorry for leaving y'all in a cliffhanger kinda moment.

As for the reason for a lack in uploads:

1) I'm back into conditioning for volleyball and my practices and open gyms are getting more regular so my coach is keeping us busy.

2) I'm headed on a trip soon and I've been busy packing or whatever.

3) I've honestly been slacking off and being lazy. Sorry about that y'all!

But I'm back now and when I'm on that long flight I'll try my best to write at least 5 chapters!

-Anne

P.S. This was supposed to be updated on the 7th but it just turned 12 so now it's one day late on the 8th. Oh well :D

•••

Updated: 6•8•18

Updated: 6•8•18