Chapter Two

"Why you sad?
I don't know, I don't know"

---

You know that hazy feeling you get when you sleep too much and then wake up? It's like all the sleep you got didn't even help, it just made you feel even more tired. It feels like you just need to go back to bed and close your eyes again, and everything will be alright.

This didn't feel like one of those situations, where going back to bed would be the solution.

- What? Father, are you out of your mind? – the shock and anger in Jimin's voice was so evident, I feared what would come out next.

- Son, it's only logical. If they get married, the legal process will be ...

- I don't care what the legal process will be like! – my brother raised his voice enough that my father would listen and understand he was pissed, but not loud enough that it would cause a scene. – You're not selling my sister over for some business arrangement!

- Jimin, I never said I was going to ...

- I don't want to hear. – said my brother as he stood, cutting my father's words yet again. – This is complete bullshit and I'm not allowing it to happen. Come on, Hyejin.

I looked around me, the other people on the table just as stunned as I was after hearing the news. My mother and Mrs. Jeon looked baffled, the men looked exasperated and the other part of the arrangement looked as if someone had informed him he was late for an appointment, slightly bothered by it, but almost as if he was expecting it.

I looked beside me, where my brother waited for me to get up and follow him. He was mad, I could see it from the way he was gripping the back of my chair, how his breathing was way faster than normal and how his stance told me that if I didn't get up fast enough, he would drag me out of the restaurant by force.

Slowly, I stood up and passed by him, feeling his footsteps just behind me.

I knew this restaurant from the other times we've been in for dinner, so I knew exactly where to go so my brother wouldn't cause a scene as he vented out his frustration.

Navigating through the other tables, I headed towards the restrooms, but turned right, into a small corridor that led to a garden. I had found the place one night, after my father made a more than rude observation about how I should content myself in being his daughter instead of trying to be something else by studying fashion. I got upset and excused myself for the bathroom, but then wandered through the wrong door and found the little refuge.

It served its purpose then and it would serve it now.

At least I hoped so.

- He cannot do that! Who the hell does he think he is? Giving you to that arrogant piece of shit! – he was almost yelling, but I had the feeling he wasn't really talking to me. – I won't let him! He'll have to go through me to do it!

His skin was red, his eyes huge in his face, his hands in fists. I'd never been afraid of my brother, he was always so caring, so gentle and affectionate, I didn't even fathom he had such rage inside him. But right at that time, he wasn't himself. I feared for whoever crossed him in that state.

But I knew it wasn't directed at me.

- Jimin, take a deep brea ...

- I can't, Hyejin. Did you hear what he is planning? He wants to marry you off to that insolent little boy, who thinks life is a game and he is the top player. What kind of father even thinks about something like that?

Yeah, obviously he was right.

- Our father does. – I said, reaching for him and disentangling his fingers from each other so I could clasp his hand in mine. – And technically, the insolent little boy is my age.