Chapter Twelve

"Even you can't understand me"

---

Funny how the human brain works.

It gets mad at the most unexpected things, enraging the rest of your limbs, until you can't see anything but that. The anger, the hatred. You'd do the impossible at that moment, something you never thought yourself capable of.

But it also cools down as unexpectedly, readily going back to calmness, making you wonder if you're losing your mind for good. Making you doubt yourself.

The rage in me lasted a night, simmering through my body until I fell asleep in between the purple cloud of my comforter. As soon as my eyes closed and unconsciousness took me, the madness was forgotten.

Unimportant.

Upon waking up, the only thing left of it was the broken glass in the corner, the only evidence of the argument and how mad I had been. Of how I had lost control of my actions and actually broken something solid.

Taking a deep breath for good measure, I swept the comforter aside and marched into the bathroom, washing away the remaining sleep from my eyes at my sink. Taking a shower to get rid of all the bad feelings from last night, I changed into a comfortable pair of jeans and a light blue shirt, also wearing the first pair of flats I found.

Walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, I noticed Jungkook's keys on top of the counter. He hadn't left for work yet. Directing myself to the coffeemaker, I started it and went to find something to eat. Making sure I had enough time before I had to leave for the atelier, I cooked a fast breakfast.

By the time I was finished, steps sounded down the stairs behind me.

There was silence between us, and I didn't like it.

It was like a heavy presence in the air.

- Good morning. – I offered as I set the food on two plates.

- Good morning. – he answered in the same blank tone.

Filling two mugs with coffee, I positioned them on the counter along with the food in front of Jungkook. He mumbled a "thank you" as I went back to get my own and sat beside him, both of us eating in silence.

That alien friendship we had was gone, awkwardness taking its place. I didn't look at him and he didn't look at me. As he finished, he took his used plate and mug to set them in the sink, going for the couch and retrieving his suit jacket from there.

He wore a navy blue set today, with another one of his white shirts beneath, a black tie around his neck. I got a glimpse at it as I set my own things in the sink, leaving them there to be washed later.

As I reached my bag on the counter, where I had left it yesterday afternoon, he grabbed his keys and prepared to leave. I ignored him, peering inside my purse to see if everything I needed was there. Clutching it in my hand, I followed him inside the lift.

The descend was quiet, just our breaths and the mechanical sound of the engines marring the air. When the doors opened in the garage, Jungkook motioned for me to go out first.

Our cars were beside each other, his black one against my silver coupé. As I opened the door, threw my bag on the seat beside me and climbed inside, he tapped his finger on the passenger window to draw my attention. When I lowered it, he braced his arms on the door.

- I'll be home late tonight.

I stared at him, trying to understand if this was a joke. He seemed serious, his eyes not wavering for even a second.