Chapter Sixteen

"Mold a pretty lie for you"

---

When people say they can't do something, I call it bullshit. Anyone can do anything, assuming they actually try to do it. Nothing is truly impossible. It can be hard to achieve, but it is entirely doable.

I hadn't believed Jungkook could really hold his end of the bargain and resist going to his mistress - well, Yoona - as he said he would. I didn't completely trust him, despite him giving me his word.

Not because I doubted he could, but because there was no actual reason for him to do it. He gained nothing from this new deal he had offered, on the contrary, he lost what he fought for in our previous one. So it just made no sense to me why he would even mention something of the sort.

But like I said, nothing is impossible when you really set yourself on it. Or when you're as stubborn as the man I married.

True to his word, it was now the second week after our new truce that he spent the night home, watching a ridiculous show on TV he seemed to like so much. About the fifteenth day I had my head on his shoulder, laughing of him as he chuckled from the scene on screen.

This whole ordeal seemed so domestic, so harmless. Nothing like the true nature of the man holding me to him on the couch, his finger absently drawing patterns on my arm as he made a comment I didn't understand because I wasn't paying attention to the TV at all.

Instead, I let myself watch him. How he reacted to every character and each interaction they shared. How his chest rumbled when he laughed, or how he went quiet when the drama appeared.

Our Wednesday nights lost their effect, for the rest of the week went just like it. The man was a box full of surprises, shocking me with new discoveries everytime.

From the movies he liked to the fact he still enjoyed video games, or how he expressed his outrage when I asked if he wasn't too old for that. To the fancy event we attended in the name of the family or the small restaurant he took me for a date.

A real one.

I could never anticipate his moves, never predict what would come next.

That still scared me a little bit.

But I chose to believe somehow this would work. That one way or another we would be able to live peacefully under the same roof. I chose to give him a chance to prove me he wasn't just the shallow man he showed everyone who tried to approach him.

He was so much more.

---

Looking out of the car's window and onto the snowy street, I gazed at the oblivious people, warmly tucked into their coats and scarves, walking as fast as they could to get to their destination and escape the freezing cold.

Tightening my own scarf around my neck I turned around, finding Jungkook's eyes watching me quietly. He did this all the time now, watch me and just smile when he got caught, as if he was doing nothing weird. Well, I suppose technically he wasn't, but it still caught me off guard every time.

- Cold? - he asked, draping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me to him.

- I'm okay. - I answered, smiling, but leaning into him nonetheless.

The driver smiled at us through the rearview mirror, acknowledging "what a beautiful couple" we were, and talking about his beloved wife back at home. Listening to him talk about her and tell Jungkook how lucky he was for having me, I blushed as my husband agreed with the man and planted a kiss on my hair.