Chapter Thirteen

"Now I don't know me,
who are you?"

---

I had been avoiding Jungkook for the past days.

Ever since that Thursday night when I foolishly fell into his trap, I had been keeping my distance from the man. Avoiding him like a plague. Dreading to repeat my mistake and actually want to kiss him and pretend like everything was fine.

Because it wasn't.

No amount of pretending would change that.

It was Wednesday again and I had left early to the atelier, guaranteeing I wouldn't bump into him by accident. He didn't tell me he would be late anymore, mostly because I didn't give him the chance to say anything. But then again, he didn't have to say it.

I already knew.

He never said he would change, so there was no reason for me to expect a different action from him. No reason to hope.

So I just buried the inconvenient feelings and followed my path.

My day went fairly normal until lunchtime, when I decided to work on a specific dress. It was mostly done, but needed some tidying up. Something was missing, but I couldn't seem to pinpoint exactly what it was. I tried some jewel on the bust, fabric draping around it, one shoulder and none at all. Nothing seemed to make it the way I wanted it.

I was frustrated and annoyed, but refused to give up, when steps sounded behind me.

- What did that dress do to you to deserve that murderous stare? - asked Taehyung as he reached my side.

- It refuses to cooperate with my creativity. - I mumbled.

- Seems good to me. - he offered.

- It is good. - he eyed me, trying to understand what the problem was exactly. - That's the thing, it's good. Just good. I need it to be perfect, stunning. I need it to be the one.

Taehyung assessed me as I groaned in defeat and lowered my head, clutching my hair in between my fingers in frustration.

- Come on, let's go.

- I can't go anywhere, I need to finish this. - I mumbled, lowly.

- How long have you been sitting there, staring at the dress?

- Uhm. Two hours?

- Exactly. - he smiled in victory. - Maybe what you need is some fresh air, and a break. Perhaps a cup of coffee?

I thought about it, eyeing the dress with dread. Sighing, I stood.

- Okay, fine. - I conceded. - Maybe you're right.

- I always am.

Ignoring his cocky comment, because he was Jungkook's friend after all, I grabbed my bag and walked outside beside him. I intended on getting my car, but Taehyung insisted on giving me a ride. So after a small argument about it, I ended up sitting beside him in the black vehicle.

He drove to a small and cozy coffee shop, the atmosphere calm and welcoming. Precisely what I seemed to need. After parking we went inside, both ordering and sitting ourselves beside a window.

- So, how are things? - he asked, sipping from his cup.

- Weird. - I offered, taking a sip myself. - We had an argument on Thursday.

Taehyung's eyes went wide and his skin paled a little.

- Tell me it wasn't because of me. - when I didn't say anything, taking a sip of my coffee and pretending I hadn't heard the question, he groaned and lowered his eyes for a moment. - Hyejin, I'm so sorry.