Chapter Seventeen

"The forest just for us"

---

Don't look too much into it, Hyejin. It's just a dress. Well, a beautiful one at that, but just a dress nonetheless.

I smoothed down the skirt of black fabric, starring at the mirror and feeling conflicted about the whole ordeal. Jungkook had just bought me a dress, one he didn't have to and that apparently he had reserved a week ago. It wasn't a choice taken out of impulse, he had actually thought about it. Planed it.

The gesture was surprisingly sweet and attentive, nothing like the image of my husband I had intently painted in my mind. Like many other things, he didn't need to do any of this, didn't need to be a loving husband behind the scenes. But for whatever reason he decided to do so, and I couldn't make sense of that.

Anyone would argue he might be trying to charm me so he could finally throw me on his bed, but that didn't match either. After being too overwhelmed by his surprise and not being able to say anything, I had literally offered my lips to him.

He had taken the bargain, kissing me in a way he never did before. Taunting, but so passionately you wouldn't be able to tell until it was too late. Not merely moving his lips against mine, but branding himself onto me, making sure I would never achieve to forget it.

But as my lips started to get used to him, reveling in the touch and yearning for more, he had stepped back, an easy smile on his face as he turned around and went for the living area. I stood there, rooted to the ground, trying to understand what had just happened.

Why had I kissed him? Why had he stepped back? And why did I feel disappointed he had?

That was stupid of me, to pretend, even for a moment, that Jungkook was someone else. Someone loyal and faithful and that our marriage was the real deal. It wasn't and I knew it. So why did I give myself up so easily?

Shaking my head, I checked the mirror again to make sure everything was in place. My hair fell down my back in waves, I had some neutral makeup on and the red heels gave a little detail to the outfit.

Apparently, there was another bathroom beside the one in the suite, for when I walked into the living room Jungkook was already in his tux, the bowtie still unknotted around his neck as he finished buttoning the cuffs on his ivory shirt.

He looked up when I walked in his line of sight, freezing his actions for a second as he analyzed me from head to toe. A tingling heat ran along my skin, electrifying me all over. As he dropped his hands beside him, I took the last steps and stopped right in front of him.

Not saying a word, I reached for the black strand of fabric and started looping it around, tying the knot with ease. I had done the same for my brother sometimes, knowing exactly how to proceed with it, but this time it felt different. Jimin didn't blatantly stare down at me as I took care of his tie as Jungkook was doing, and there was no tingling from my brother's presence.

Finished with it, I smoothed the collar down and helped him into the black tux jacket, also buttoning it and smoothing it down. I'm not sure how my hands ended up softly holding his lapels as I looked up at him, or why the air seemed stuck on my throat as our eyes met.

I must really be out of my mind.

- Thank you. – he murmured, reaching around me and setting his hand exactly where the dress's back opening was. – You look beautiful.

I just smiled, not entirely trusting my voice not to break to give him a spoken answer. Not pointing the fact out, he just offered me his arm and led me downstairs.