Chapter Four

"Try babbling into the mirror"

---

Hair up or down?

What does it matter Hyejin? It's a fake date with your fake fiancé, that'll lead to a fake marriage!

I sighed, looking into the mirror and contemplating my figure. I had chosen a red dress, snug on my torso but lose from the waist down, paired with black heels and coat. I liked the outfit, it made me feel good in it, but it didn't change the fact that this wasn't real.

Refusing to dread about it any longer, and considering Jungkook would be here in two minutes, I picked up some pins and did the best I could in about a minute or so, pinning my hair up to look like a loose bun. Grabbing my purse and coat, I walked down the stairs.

I was expecting to meet him in the car, but as I descended the last few steps into the living room, I found him there with my parents, talking excitedly. He had his back to me and all I could see was his hair, surpassing the limit of the armchair he sat on.

- Honey, you look beautiful. – beamed my mother, drawing all the attention to me.

As my father looked up, Jungkook stood, turning around. We looked into each other's eyes for a moment and it almost felt like it was real. The heat in his eyes, the appreciation.

It almost felt like a real date.

But I knew it wasn't.

- Shall we go? – I asked, motioning for the door.

- Of course. – Jungkook turned around, bidding my parents farewell. – A pleasure as always, Mr. and Mrs. Park.

- Oh, the pleasure is ours. – answered my mother. – Do come more often Jungkook, you're always welcome.

He smiled at my parents and walked to my side. I started walking for the door ahead of him and suddenly felt his hand on the small of my back. A shiver ran down my spine at his touch, but I readily composed myself.

This is an act, it's all a show.

And we are the protagonists.

The fact that he was being attentive by that small act and by opening the car door for me, meant nothing in the long run.

Once seated in the soft leather seat, I remembered how I came to be here in the first place.

That day, our mothers had finally given me a break with all the running around the city, so I happily spent all day in the atelier, drawing sketches and making sure the dresses looked perfect.

Around lunchtime, my phone started vibrating on top of the desk. Not tearing my eyes off the dress I was working on, especially because I didn't want to stab myself with the pins, I only pressed a button in the earpiece I had on to take the call and continued working.

- Hello?

- Oh, this time you actually picked up the call. I'm flattered.

Jungkook.

Of course.

- Good day to you too, Jungkook. – I said in my best sarcastic tone. – Can I help you with something?

- As a matter of fact, you can, dear fiancée. – he answered, a touch of irony in his own voice. – We're going out tonight.

- Excuse me? Has anyone ever taught you how to ask someone out? Because that was awful. – I said smugly. – If that's how you pick women up, it's no surprise they always leave.