Chapter Twenty-Five

"For you I could pretend that
I was strong when I was hurt"

---

Deep breaths, Hyejin. You can do this.

Pacing around the space as someone else introduced their collection on the catwalk, I waited for my turn, nervousness making it impossible for me to sit down.

The models were already perfectly dressed beside me, their hair and make-up matching the style of each dress flawlessly. My assistant was with them, having already arranged them in the order they should enter the stage.

I was astounded by the whole situation, anxiousness and a little fear swirling through my being. I was confident of my work, I had done the best I could and was proud of the outcome.

But those things weren't enough to make me calm down.

There was the excitement of finally being introduced to the world in a big event, but also the fear of not being good enough. Of failing the only thing I ever really wanted and had fought so bad to get.

But it seemed incomplete.

I had kept myself as busy as I possibly could the past week, filling my time with anything that could distract me. It wasn't just the pre-release tension, but a mix of everything else that had been going on in my life.

Jungkook's texts and voicemails had stopped popping up completely one day, no more comments from my brother as well. Considering everything, the logic reaction for me to have would be relief, but it was so far from it.

Somehow, his disappearance hurt, as if it was him admitting we were truly over. I was the one who left and cut off all contact, but it didn't seem real until that very moment.

Except he hadn't given back the divorce papers. I had no idea if he had even signed them or just ripped it into pieces and thrown them away. I didn't know if his distance was him finally being through with me, or if he was plotting something.

As much as I should hope for the first option, my heart kept insisting on the latter.

And so, life went on day by day. Three days ago I had flown to New York with my assistant and the dresses, the models who would be wearing them getting here the next day.

We had rehearsals for the catwalk and a photoshoot to be included at the event's portfolio. It had been some very busy days, making sure everything would be perfect for the big day.

Which was already happening.

The stylist on stage finished with his collection and I could hear people applauding him. His models retreated into the backstage as he probably bowed, thanking the crowd before he too stepped out of the lights.

I watched as they assembled together as cheered, a woman coming out of nowhere, hugging him tight and kissing him. I observed as he lifted her off the ground and spun her around, both of them giggling in between the kiss, the models beaming at them.

I wouldn't have that when I came out of the stage.

Sighing, I heard the man in charge announcing I was next. My assistant directed the models to their marks, doing a last check to see if everything was in place. I focused on taking deep breaths and not freaking out.

A finger tapped against my shoulder, making me turn around.

- Chim? – I asked, throwing my arms around his neck instantly.

- Hey. – he murmured, returning the gesture. – You look amazing. – he stated, smugly.

I was indeed wearing the grayish blue dress, the one he insisted so much I should bring to New York against my better judgment. I thought about not bringing it, about forsaking it from this day. But I couldn't.